Skip to main content
Topic: Recommendations needed for MIDI keyboard (Read 3855 times) previous topic - next topic

Recommendations needed for MIDI keyboard

Hello all,

I'm looking at midi piano keyboards to speed up note entry.  Are there any compatibility issues with NWC2, Vista and, say, M-Audio or Korg?  These will use the USB port on my computer.  I want to know before I shell out the bucks for a USB controller that may not work.  By the way, what's the difference in a "regular" MIDI keyboard and a USB MIDI controller?  I'm such a novice at these things!

Thanks!  R

Re: Recommendations needed for MIDI keyboard

Reply #1
I can't give you any specific answers, but vista has real problems with drivers.  You need to make sure that whatever keyboard you select, if it is USB and not MIDI (5 pin DIN connectors), it has vista drivers.

If you select a MIDI keyboard, then you'll need a MIDI interface - Edirol have USB to MIDI interfaces that seem to work well on XP, but I haven't checked if they have vista drivers available.

Check the web for driver availability when you have selected your short list.

That said, both M-Audio and Korg have good reputations.  I would be surprised if they don't have vista drivers available, but probably only for current models.  Perhaps you can get a demo instore of the hook-up to a vista machine (notebook maybe)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Lawrie,

Thanks for the quick reply!  What is a midi interface? 

I'm looking at a Korg NanoKey USB MIDI controller.  It seems to have a USB cord and all drivers for Vista included.  Do I still need an interface to work with NWC?

Reply #3
Hi,

That machine appears to have all you need - it has a mini USB port and so I believe that all you will need in a mini to standard USB cable (no doubt supplied with the keyboard). So I do not believe that you would need a midi interface. (This would enable you to connect a midi port to a USB port).

As far as the controller bit is concerned, I think you should be careful before jumping in !  If all you want to do is play a key / chord and have that chord appear on the screen within a NoteWorthy file, then essentially, you can do that (there are a few ifs and buts).

If you want the keyboard to control a whole host of midi functions (more than the most basic), then I would be tempted to ask more questions on this forum from people who have tried to do such things.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because the midi keyboard will deliver midi instructions to NoteWorthy, it doesn't necessarily mean that NoteWorthy knows and has been programmed to interpret them.

Rich.

Reply #4
All I really want is a small keyboard that I can use to play chords and melodies into NWC2.  What is the simple solution?  When I search for MIDI keyboards, all I find are MIDI controllers - more machine than I need, I think.  Any suggestions?

Reply #5
A MIDI Controller is usually a simple keyboard with no onboard sound.
It is simply a tool to pass keyboard presses to a computer or sound device.
I use a very inexpensive one.
It is a MIDIMAN 49 Key 3/4 size keyboard with octave shift.
It connects to my computer using an M-AUDIO Midisport USB adapter (1 IN port and 1 OUT port).
Previously (using Win 98) I had the controller connected through the joystick port on the soundcard.
(It's over 10 years old).
It is only 600mm x 150mm x 40mm (or 2' x 6" x 1-1/2" in ye olde Christian measurements) and fits comfortably under my monitor on the desk.

It works fine for me under XP.

I also have an inexpensive (about $80US) 5 octave MIDI Keyboard with full size keys.
It has a full range GM (General MIDI) patches built in and onboard sound.
It can also be used as a MIDI Controller using the same USB or Joystick adapters.
It is really an electronic piano/synthesizer but it can be used for what you require.

Check around - there are inexpensive solutions.
Just make sure that it is GM compatible and can send messages on all channels.
If it has onboard sound make sure the patches agree with the scheme in GM.
Any USB interface should be Vista compatible.
(Doesn't bother me - I wouldn't touch Vista with a barge pole).
---------------
Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

Reply #6
Keep in mind that MIDI controller keyboards do not have their own built-in sound source or speakers, but depend on the sound source that they are controlling - in this case the computer's software synth.  The Microsoft GS wavetable softsynth (really a low-end Roland) that came with XP and I believe also with Vista is an inferior sound set to even many low-end portable keyboards.  Also there are typically latency issues (delay in the computer sounding the notes you play) with computer softsynths, so you may find the MIDI controller to be a frustrating way to enter notes.

With that in mind, I would suggest a Yamaha portable keyboard in the $200-$300 range that has a USB port, making the expense of a MIDI interface ($40-$80) unnecessary and making the connection to your computer much simpler, assuming the keyboard drivers work with Vista.  It will play from its own (excellent) sound source through its own speakers, eliminating any latency issues and making it much easier to play in rhythm.  You may need to experiment with the Record settings in NWC2 to avoid getting triple-dotted eighths and sixteenths combined with tied 256th notes (OK, that's a little exaggerated!), but generally leaning toward note values of eighth note and rest values of quarter rest in the Record settings smooth out rhythmic imperfections quite well.  You can also use the keyboard with its excellent synth as the MIDI playback device by choosing it by name or choosing the USB device if that's how it shows up in NWC Available MIDI playback devices.

And everyone here knows what I'll say next - in this price range, don't even consider anything but a Yamaha.  $ for $ no one beats Yamaha in the quality and realism of their synth sounds.