Skip to main content
Topic: How do I play a note the first time only within the program? (Read 3946 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I play a note the first time only within the program?

I'm inputting a song into my software, and I have a section that is repeated; however, there are a couple notes that aren't played the second time through.  How do I tell the program not to play those notes the second time through?

Re: How do I play a note the first time only within the program?

Reply #1
The short answer is that you don't - although, if the notes are very near the end of the repeated section, you can use an alternate ending (see "special ending command" in the help file).

Bill

Reply #2
Thanks...I was hoping there would be an alternate to entering the section twice.  I run an a cappella group and I didn't want to confuse my singers.

Reply #3
You generally use Special Endings for this. However, be careful to add a 1st ending before any 2nd ending, or play back and some tools can behave in an odd fashion.

Reply #4
I don't have NWC in front of me, but it seems that you should be able to use two hidden playback staffs; one with those notes to be played, one without.  Set the volume of #2 to zero at the start and set the volume of #1 appropriately.  Then at the end of the 1st ending (before the repeat sign), set the volume of #1 to zero and the volume of #2 to where #1 was.  Hide the staffs and mute the display staff.

Well, that's one way to do it.  By using cut and paste, it shouldn't take too long to set it up.

Seems to me that Peanut Jake did something like this to change instruments between repeats; I don't see why it won't work for volume.

Speaking of, we haven't heard from PJ ("good tunes live many lives") in a long time.  Anyone hear from him?
John

Reply #5
Should work, John. The (muted) display staff would have to have all the notes on it, with parentheses around the notes that are sung only the first time through....or some indication of that kind.

Another person we haven't heard from in a long time is Tina Billet. Does anyone know what has happened to her?

Bill

Reply #6
G'day Bill,
Tina was struggling with failing eyesight.  Things reached a point where she had so much difficulty reading the scores she was transcribing that she was unable to continue.  I imagine the same applied to her ability to use the PC.  I for one miss her greatly.  Her knowledge, inventiveness and wit were very refreshing.

PJ posted something on the NG last month.  He has not been as active in the NG of late.  I can only assume that other matters have had greater priority.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Thanks, Lawrie. I was gone from the forum for a while a couple of years ago, and when I came back she was no longer posting. I've often wondered, since. I, too, miss her posts, which were always warm, cogent, and knowledgeable.

Bill