Skip to main content
Topic: blank staff with notated staff (Read 3076 times) previous topic - next topic

blank staff with notated staff

I'm looking for a way to print out a treble staff with notes and a blank bass staff that I can pencil in notes while arranging. I'm currently doing the bass clef with rests, but they get in the way. I tried setting up the staff and using extend last sysytem, but that doensn't work.

Re: blank staff with notated staff

Reply #1
Try this. It's clunky, but it works. Create a NEW staff from the FILE menu. INSERT the desired CLEF, KEY and TIME signatures.

Now click the whole note (assuming 4/4 time; dotted half for 3/4, etc.) Now press the space bar n times, where n is the number of desired bars. This fills in a bunch of rests (if I read your message correctly, you've already gotten this far).

Next use the TOOLS menu to AUDIT BAR LINES. This will insert the bar lines.

Then go through and delete the rests. The result will be a series of very short "bars", without anything in them.

Next, click on the first bar and INSERT TEXT. But don't enter any actual text; use a string of spaces instead. Click the "Preserve Width" button ON. Experiment with the number of spaces until you get the size of bar you want.

Finally, select the invisible "text" and copy to clipboard with CNTL C. Then go through the blank "score" to paste that same invisible text line into each bar using CNTL V.

You can use PRINT PREVIEW to verify that you've got it the way you want it.

Voila. (Or "Viola" as the case may be.)

Reply #2
Please can a non-clunky way of doing this be added to the wish list?

Reply #3
Fred, I tried but couldn't make it as ou explain it ("space" measures won't have the right width).
So here is another "solution": insert, as Fred explains, "whole rests" (you can *always* use a whole rest, whatever the time sgnature may be) and assign it a "+8" vertical placement. This will move them over the "empty" staff.
Then print it as is, or import it (via Print Preview/Copy/wmf) in any design program (paint shop pro, word...) where you remove (easily, since alone and aligned) the now unwanted whole rests, floating around.

Other solution, muc more easy: compose directly with NWC :-)
but in that case, if one could hear notes one enters them would be wonderful ;)

hth,
      MAD

Reply #4
It's probably my natural incompetence, but I produced a "WMF" file and none of my programs want anything to do with it. Help!

Reply #5
Peter,
which program did you try to open the .wmf file ? If you got word, try Insert/Image... to get the .wmf, then double-click on the image to get access to the picture elements. /!\ you'll need MUCH memory!
Or open it with PaintShopPro (shareware), if you ain't got it I'm sure many other programs will be able to treat .wmf files. Alas, PhotoShop (even 5) DOESN'T! Maybe (probably?) CorelDraw! does.
hth, MAD

Reply #6
What programs are you trying? Lots of programs will not work, since they are not graphics or page layout programs. Many word processors accept metafiles. Some paint programs work, some do not. Technically, they must accept the Placeable Metafile format. We have sucessfully used MS-Word as well as some versions of WordPefect.