Skip to main content
Topic: [2.29 - Wine - Linux] Crash when printing (Read 8365 times) previous topic - next topic

[2.29 - Wine - Linux] Crash when printing

Hello !

I'm using NWC 2.29 with Wine And I noticed that NWC crashes when I try to print or preview the score.

When I tried to print into a pdf, the file has been created : it contains the title an the author, so the program crashes after the beginning of the printing.

A solution ?

Re: [2.29 - Wine - Linux] Crash when printing

Reply #1
If you have a specific address in NWC2 where a crash occurs, then we can look into this. Otherwise, it is probably a driver or Wine issue.

Reply #2
Hello !
I'm using NWC 2.29 with Wine And I noticed that NWC crashes when I try to print or preview the score.

I am using the same NWC version with wine, and printing works as well as ever before. Can you print from other programs under wine?

--Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #3
Hello ! Thanks for your replies !

The problem seems to be in the song :
NWC 1.75 and the latest NWC 2 are working with other scores.
I tried to print this score with NWC 2 : NWC crashed.
I tried to export the score to print it with NWC 1.75 : NWC crashed (when printing).

How can I send you the file ? (It's a work for my own use. I transcribed a song from a record. I didn't have any permission to do that, so I don't want to put it here).

Reply #4
If you send your *.nwc file as an e-mail attachment, we can review it and e-mail our impressions back to you.

Reply #5
Here is the file !

Thanks !

Reply #6
I would suspect a bad font. Try changing:
  • Trebuchet MS
  • SA Inkspot
  • Rachana_w01
  • Boxmarks
to: Times New Roman

My versions of 'Trebuchet MS' and 'Boxmarks' caused no problems.
I don't have 'SA Inkspot' and 'Rachana_w01', so I couldn't test them.

If you find a bad font, loading it into FontForge, making some trivial change, and saving it, may solve the problem. This has worked for me in the past.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Good advise ! Thank you !

... But I'm very surprised because the problem seems to be caused by Boxmarks. I never had such a problem with this font before !

I'm surprised by Rachana_w01 too : I didn't know this font. I don't know where it comes from ! (I can't see it in the listbox !)

Reply #8
I'm surprised by Rachana_w01 too : I didn't know this font. I don't know where it comes from ! (I can't see it in the listbox !)
You should see it. When I export your attachment as nwctxt, this is the font section:
|Font|Style:Staff Italic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Staff Bold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Staff Lyric|Typeface:"Trebuchet MS"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Title Text|Typeface:"SA Inkspot"|Size:24|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Text|Typeface:"Rachana_w01"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Small Text|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 1|Typeface:"Boxmarks"|Size:16|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:5|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:5|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
You might try Boxmarks2 instead of Boxmarks. You are only using: "a" from it and Boxmarks2's glyph is very similar to Boxmarks. Boxmarks doesn't have a PostScript name. This is of little import to Windows, but your environment may take exception to this.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
I tried to use Boxmark2 but NWC crashes too.
So I decided to use "jazz.ttf" (char "Y") and now its ok.

Thank you for your help !