Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI Playback Devices? (Read 3367 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Playback Devices?

I have a little problem.

I downloaded NoteWorthy Composer v. 1.75 (32-bit) and neither the Microsoft MIDI Mapper nor the Microsoft GS Wavetable are outputting sound.  I am using the Winamp Media Player which has Direct Music / Microsoft Synthesizer and it works fine.

Does that MIDI mapper work with NoteWorthy?

If not what can I do to make the MIDI sound come out NoteWorthy?

I downloaded it a while ago and it worked fine when I first got it.  Hopefully I didn't do anything to my computer.

Re: MIDI Playback Devices?

Reply #1
Check your sound cards mixer settings - it's a fair bet that MIDI is either muted or turned right down - Windows Media Player has a habit of doing this...

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: MIDI Playback Devices?-Mine too 1/2 played back. Concertmate990

Reply #3
   My Concertmate 990 worked well then it changed when I had XP  on it. Then I was called away on family business. Pulled the midi cable out and lost the play back. Now I have VISTA- upgraded everything myself  with DELL via the phone. And the PC EMULATES  the music on it-plays. Music Mapper ETC.  doesn't play either. My message said before and after it needs a DECODER, or you need to put your musical instrument in Default. Which I am trying to figure out how to do. I am reading in pc books and midi books how to do it. Some music programs don't recognize your instrument, either you type it in when you can or you have to fnd the settings for it. Like I am trying to figure out. Or else you need a decoder. I also need  at times to ask a music repairman for some advice.

Sincerely yours,

KatyAnnRose55

Re: MIDI Playback Devices?

Reply #4
klallen1991, more details would be helpful -is your operating system Vista, XP, 98, what MIDI playback devices show up in NWC's Tools-Options-MIDI Available play devices Devices used by playback, etc.

KatyAnnRose55, you mentioned a "decoder" on this and another thread.  Could possibly mean an audio "codec"?  That is short for coder-decoder.  Someone can certainly give you a better definition, but roughly codecs are applications that the computer uses to convert digital sound into different audio formats with different levels of depth of sound information, such as mp3, ogg vorbis, wma, etc.  Again, more info would be helpful - how are your keyboard's MIDI jacks connected to your computer (MIDI interface manufacturer and model, straight USB with no MIDI cables, etc.), are you on a laptop or a desktop, the text of error messages that pop up, whether you C-mate 990 manual says it is General MIDI compatible, any detail and any text from which you are getting what you write in your posts would be helpful.