Skip to main content
Topic: Drum Kits? (Read 3202 times) previous topic - next topic

Drum Kits?

Is there any way to use drum kits on noteworthy? If so where do I get them?

Re: Drum Kits?

Reply #1
G'day Nijg,
most synths use MIDI channel 10 for percussion/drums.  There was an old standard that used channel 16 but you don't see them much.

So...  Set a staff to MIDI channel 10 and you're away.  There are different kits available in different synths/sound fonts and they won't all be the same, but there is always a kit on patch 0/1 (grand piano)

For an example open the file "drumref.nwc" from "samples".
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
As far as I know, GM2 now includes what used to be GS and/or XG drum kits, and specifically:

ProgChange       Name
 MSB  LSB
 000  000        Standard Kit
 001  000        Standard Kit 2
 004  000        Hit Kit
 008  000        Room Kit
 016  000        Rock (Power) Kit
 024  000        Electronic Kit
 025  000        Analog Kit
 026  000        Dance Kit
 032  000        Jazz Kit
 040  000        Brush Kit
 048  000        Symphony (Orchestra) Kit
 056  000        Sound Effects (SFX) Kit

If your synth is not too old or if your synth is automatically in GS or XG mode you should not have any problem inserting an instrument change command with the relevant ProgChange values.

Reply #3
As far as I know, GM2 now includes what used to be GS and/or XG drum kits, and specifically:

ProgChange       Name
 MSB  LSB
 000  000        Standard Kit
 001  000        Standard Kit 2
 004  000        Hit Kit
 008  000        Room Kit
 016  000        Rock (Power) Kit
 024  000        Electronic Kit
 025  000        Analog Kit
 026  000        Dance Kit
 032  000        Jazz Kit
 040  000        Brush Kit
 048  000        Symphony (Orchestra) Kit
 056  000        Sound Effects (SFX) Kit

If your synth is not too old or if your synth is automatically in GS or XG mode you should not have any problem inserting an instrument change command with the relevant ProgChange values.

I tried the different ProgChange values and nothing changed at all. I'm pretty sure that my computer's MIDI capabilities are not very old. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Reply #4
I suppose in NWC you checked "Send bank select" and set LSB = 0 and MSB at wish, so I can only guess that your synth needs a command like "GM2 on" or "GS on" or "XG on" to use these features.
Just a guess, anyway.

The problem is that, as far as I know, you can not send that kind of command from NWC.

Another idea is: take care of what you're looking (well... listening) at.
For example: I can select the Analog Kit so the drums and cymbals become "synthetic", but the other sounds (agogo, claves, maracas, cabasa...) don't change.

Uh, I just noted that you wrote
my computer's MIDI capabilities
I did my tests with external keyboards. Maybe your sound card does not handle alternative drum kits.