Skip to main content
Topic: Beams across staffs (Read 3839 times) previous topic - next topic

Beams across staffs

Sorry for my ignorance...I'm new at this.  I have been searching to find some information about carrying a beam across staffs, but have been unable to find anything.  Any guidance?  Thanks!!

Re: Beams across staffs

Reply #1
Currently, beaming across staffs is only supported for grand staffs.  (Like a piano staff.)
To get a grand staff, right-click on the top staff, select Staff Properties, click on the tab labelled "visual", and under style, select "upper grand staff".  For the lower one, do the same, but select "lower grand staff" instead of "upper grand staff".

Reply #2
Thank you.  It is set up as a grand staff, but I can't get more than one staff to highlight at a time, so I can connect the notes on both staffs with a beam.

Reply #3
Beaming across staves is not supported in NoteWorthy.

Occasionally, you can set the staff Vertical Size to get the beams to exactly overlap, but mostly you cannot.

NWC2 has features to simulate cross-staff beaming for most situations, but it is an arduous task.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Thanks.  I'll just write it out with rests in each staff instead of connecting the notes with a beam.  Sigh.

Reply #5
Sorry.  I thought you meant barlines across staves.  However, you may want to make the rests invisible.  (Select note, right click, Properties-Visibility-Show on Printed Page-Invisible)