Skip to main content
Topic: How do you assign a percussion instrument to a note on the percussion clef (Read 5244 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you assign a percussion instrument to a note on the percussion clef

-

Re: How do you assign a percussion instrument to a note on the percussion clef

Reply #1
You normally need to assign channel 10 for percussion playback.
Then you can use drum.nwc (I think you'll find it in the example nwc files that are installed with the program, or search Noteworthy Scriptorium drum) to sort out which sounds you want to use. The drum clef has the same pitch playback as a treble clef, but that can be changed by transposing the default instrument assigned to the clef. Hopefully this will be enough to get you started, but if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask again here.

Reply #2
I already know how to use the channel 10 drum thing, its just that I am trying to get bongos to play the low one on an A and the high one on a C, but the midi bongos are the low one on C# and the high one on C. I am wondering how to completely change the note without any reference to the original position because my intervals will obviously be different than the default.

Reply #3
I am trying to get bongos to play the low one on an A and the high one on a C, but the midi bongos are the low one on C# and the high one on C.
You might try Instrument transposition.

Or this <tip> if you have a lot of pitches to remap.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Yep. As Rick suggested. Insert instruments (I key) and transpose them such that the notes will play from the desired staff positions. This may mean instrument/transpose insertions in front of each note. Thank goodness for copy/paste!

Reply #5
The easiest way (for me anyhow) is to use a visible muted staff and a hidden playback staff.
Percussion often has rolls, flams, and other rudiments, and those need to be written out completely for the MIDI to play it properly, but you certainly wouldn't want to see all of those 32nd notes and double-dotted 8th notes...