Skip to main content
Topic: How does multi-point controller work? (Read 5022 times) previous topic - next topic

How does multi-point controller work?

I've seen it used and it appears pretty useful, but I just can't quite figure out how exactly it works... like changing what value does what. Can someone give me a brief explanation on how it works?

Re: How does multi-point controller work?

Reply #2
I've been trying to follow what those links say, and I just can't get what I want to happen to work.
I'm trying to make a dotted half note increase dramatically from piano to fortississimo within 3 beats. This is what I tried:
<Image Link>
<Image Link>

and its not working.

Reply #3
Not all synthesizers support volume changes on notes that are already sounding. There is a sample file, voltest.nwc, that you can use to confirm your synthesizer's response to this situation.

Reply #4
I can confirm that the attached MPC does exactly what you show in your reply, and it plays back as you want.

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Instrument|Name:"Violin"|Patch:40|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:-8|Wide:Y
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Linear Sweep|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,20|Pt2:3,127|Pos:7|Wide:Y
|Note|Dur:Half,Dotted|Pos:2
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #5
Well, since NWC Online confirms that the MPC in your file gets the effect you are after on their synth, and that not all synths change volume on a note already begun, 2 things surface.

1) In your MPC try changing the Controller from Volume to Expression and see if your synth likes that better.

2) What synth are you using anyway, and through what interface if it is a hardware synth?

Reply #6
I can confirm that the attached MPC does exactly what you show in your reply, and it plays back as you want.

Code: [Select · Download]
|Instrument|Name:"Violin"|Patch:40|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:-8|Wide:Y
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Linear Sweep|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,20|Pt2:3,127|Pos:7|Wide:Y

Do I copy and paste this code somewhere? Or do I interpret it somehow?

and the voltest.nwc does work on my computer

Reply #8
Hey Nijg,

Whenever I use the multi-point controller for volume I always set the actual dynamic to fff. That way when the volume in the MPC is set to 127, the playback is fff and, for example, when it's set to 60 the playback would be mp.

I see in your example the last dynamic before your long note is p. This means that even though the MPC volume is at 127 after three beats, 127 would represent the dynamic p in this case.

I've tried NoteWorthy Online's code and it works just great but it doesn't have any dynamics like your example.
The following code is your example plus the one fff dynamic (visiblity set to Never). Simply copy and paste this into a NWC file...

|Instrument|Name:"Violin"|Patch:40|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:-10|Wide:Y
|Dynamic|Style:f|Pos:-9
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-1,3
|Dynamic|Style:p|Pos:-9
|Dynamic|Style:fff|Pos:-9|Visibility:Never
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Linear Sweep|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,20|Pt2:3,127|Pos:2|Wide:Y
|Dynamic|Style:fff|Pos:-9

Hope this helps,
Leigh