Skip to main content
Topic: NWC2 Issue resolving note values (Read 3908 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC2 Issue resolving note values

Hi Everyone...

I'm quite experienced with NWC2 but today I'm having quite a problem with a piece of music where it seems that NWC can't resolve some of the note values when it comes to chord notes, so I am forced to use layering which is a bit messy - I'm used to the software being quite adept at handling this normally so not sure if I have done something stupid - can anyone look at the enclosed example and make any suggesions - the bar numbers I am having trouble with are for example 5,6,7,9, 10 etc.  It seems as if NWC2 is having difficulty resolving a rested quarter followed by an eighth when chorded or paired with two quarters or even a quarter and two eighths...  Lawrie... I'm sure this is an  easy one for you :)

Thanks a lot

Cliff

Re: NWC2 Issue resolving note values

Reply #1
G'day Cliff,
thanks for droppin' me in it mate :)

Umm, actiually, it must very late or something ('tis actually - nearly midnight here) 'cos I'm not sure I can see what your having problems with...

Bars 5, 6 ,7, 9 and 10 on all 4 staves seem OK to me...  Each of them adds up to 4 beats and they all look to be spacing and aligning vertically about where I'd expect them - what am I missin'?

Sorry mate - just not seein' it..?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks for getting back to me Lawrie - actually, I need them on only 2 staves, not four as I am forced to do - you will see that the odd note or two has to go on the bottom stave of the treble clef. As a good example, see bar 6 - the single eighth note has to be on the second stave because it won't fit into the top stave and Noteworthy can't resolve it on the top stave...  Hope that is clearer.

Cliff

Reply #3
Your bar 6 in the top staff is written in a way that you probably did not intend. Using Rick G's trick of hiding the rest in a RestChord, you could rewrite it like this:

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:-1
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-5
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-6
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #4
Thanks Admin - great trick and I will use it for now as it solves the issue.  Not sure why you thought I did not mean to write bar 6 as I did - I enclose a pdf of bar 5,6 and 7 and how it should look, but in bar 6 of my NWC example I tried fitting in the eighth note on the bottom staff..  fun and games!  Will this type of situation ever be accommodated in NWC2?

Thanks a lot

Cliff

Reply #5
G'day Cliff,
I've had a go at the treble of the PDF and come up with this...

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-7|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:-2
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-6
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-5
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:-1
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-5
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-6
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-7|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:-2
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-6
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Up
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

I assume you have been using some of the user tools - There is a Global_Mod command to make this easier (I'm pretty sure RickG supplied it):
RestChord Opts.VertOffset=<PROMPT:=#[-2047,2048]>
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Thanks Lawrie, as always you are a star!!  Now that I know about Rick G's trick (bless his cotton socks) I will use it for sure!!

Oh yes - go to bed now!  t's just started snowing in London (in March for goodness sake!) so I'm all snuggled up in front of my computer and Noteworthy.. :)

Thanks again

Cliff

Reply #7
I now use:
RestChord Opts.VertOffset=<PROMPT:=#[-2000,2000]>

Among other things, is is easier to Search & Replace.

You can also use:
Rest Opts.VertOffset=<PROMPT:=#[-2000,2000]>

To make empty areas with no screen clutter.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #8
t's just started snowing in London (in March for goodness sake!)
I remember waking up to over 2 inches on May 9th when I was in high school.
Leaves had already come out - weight of snow had bent all of the trees to the ground.
On the way home from school it was 64°F, no trace of wetness on the ground.
Ah, New England...