Skip to main content
Topic: Updating Templates in Vista (Read 3769 times) previous topic - next topic

Updating Templates in Vista

Gents (and ladies),

Last March, I "upgraded" to Vista.  Just after the first of the year, I attempted to modify my templates to reflect the date change (to 2008), but was unable to save the templates.  Yes, I have Admin priveleges.  The message is "(template name) failed to save properly" but the old ones still exist and I have to change them manually for each new composition.

Is there something in NWC that will not allow saving modified templates under Vista?  The templates are in:
C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Composer\Template

Yes, I'm still on 1.75c, but doubt the new version would act differently.

Many thanks for your assistance.   Y'all are great answering queries.
Doug

Re: Updating Templates in Vista

Reply #1
G'day Doug,
mate, could you try a little experiment for me please?

Using Windows Explorer could you go to your "C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Composer\Template" directory and Right-click and drag one of the files to a location within the folder?  When you release the right mouse button you should get a menu up that allows you to select "Copy".  It should create a "Copy of xxx.nwc" where xxx is the name of the file you dragged.

If you get a file system error when you try to do this then I suggest you have a rights issue - could be you aren't Administrator equivalent (or whatever it is that vista calls this now).
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
G'Day,

I just created a copy successfully.  It did ask for the Admin password, then created a copy with " - Copy" added to the template name.

And, I just updated it and it saved correctly?!?

Interesting.  Any ideas why I couldn't update the "original" properly, yet can update a "copy"??

Thanks,
Doug

Reply #3
Probably file ownership...

Reply #4
As usual, you are correct, Lawrie.

I just checked properties on my "original" templates; they're all READ ONLY (not set by me).
The "copy" is NOT read only.

You're good!

Thanks again.
Doug

Reply #5
G'day Doug,
we-el, file ownership isn't a Read Only flag, but I'm glad you did find it.

I must say that I'm surprised the file is read only - I'm sure the NWC install doesn't do that...  Or is it RO to your login 'cos another "user" owns it?

Reply #6
Uh, no, I'm the only "user" on the machine.  I suspect that installing 1.75c on Vista caused the RO flag to be set.

Also, when I think ownership, I also think properties (hidden, read only, etc.). 

Anywho, thanks!
Doug

Reply #7
By default, Vista protects all files and folders in the program area, even on administrator accounts. By default, any changes to these files are saved into the virtual store.

We are working on improving this mechanism in NWC2 in a way that is effective for all supported versions of Windows. In the mean time, the easiest thing would be to move your template location into a user file area.

See also: AutoSave in Vista