Skip to main content
Topic: Fingering does not print correctly (Read 2807 times) previous topic - next topic

Fingering does not print correctly

After reading a post in this forum about adding fingering to scores using the insert text feature I find the printed result does not align with what I see on screen. I am trying to indicate fingering for classical guitar for notation that includes beamed notes. I insert text before the beamed notes, but when I pad my fingering text with spaces it does not print over the notes as shown on screen. Has anyone figured out how to correctly show fingering for specific beamed notes so that it prints correctly?

Re: Fingering does not print correctly

Reply #1
You must use Print Preview, not the screen display, to see where the text will be placed.

Reply #2
When using Print Preview the fingering text still does not line up with what comes out of my laser printer. I have a feeling NWC is not handling the width of spaces in proportional fonts correctly in either the screen or preview depictions. Fingerings are very important to classical guitar notation and NWC has problems in this area. My biggest gripe is that I can't enter text within a set of beamed notes. Doing so breaks the beamed set. I know this has been on the wish list for a long time. It would be nice to see this addressed.

Reply #3
If your not using lyrics you could enter the fingering as a lyric above or below the staff.
You will need to enter an underscore at notes without fingering marks though - they wont print - but it could be a messy process!

Reply #4
The trick to seeing on the screen what you want to see on paper is to make sure that the print preview mode is maximized and that you are zoomed all the way in. It's difficult to see more than a small section at a time, but it gives you a very good representation of what will print.