Skip to main content
Topic: Please recommend a simple mixer (Read 4190 times) previous topic - next topic

Please recommend a simple mixer

I now have my Yamaha 61-key keyboard to play on and Noteworthy software for composition writing. I am enjoying both.

I would like to take a song that I composed in Noteworthy, output it to a MIDI file, then mix that MIDI file with singing through a microphone plugged into a Soundblaster Live card, then save that to a file. What relatively simple mixer program would you recommend that would mix the MIDI with a mike input and save it to a file? This is strictly for my own entertainment, nothing professional required.

Thank you.
Al

Re: Please recommend a simple mixer

Reply #1
G'day Al,
with the SB live card you get a "What U Hear" output that can be recorded with something like Audacity...

You also have the SB mixer - just use the SB mixer to adjust relative levels between your MIDI synth and the mic. input - when you're happy with the levels, fire up Audacity and record from "What U Hear".

This is rough and ready, but should work OK.  What you won't have is channel based EQ.

You can improve on this by using Audacity for multi track...  Record each track individually...  You can even have your NWC composition recorded via "What U Hear", then change to record from microphone, click on record in Audacity and it will play back the previously recorded track and record your vocals on another track.  This way, you could use the minimal EQ in the SB mixer to adjust your vocals...

Get Audacity here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Please recommend a simple mixer

Reply #2
Lawrie, thank you for the reply. I never did understand what What-U-Hear is all about, but I think I get the picture now. I will download Audacity and try things out together. This sounds like it should fulfill my needs. Thank you.
Al