Skip to main content
Topic: volume and instrumentation changes (Read 10571 times) previous topic - next topic

volume and instrumentation changes

Music files I have  been working on over weeks have all of a sudden changed.  The instrumentation I originally chose is changed and I can't change it back.  I can't even see where the problem is.  Notes fade in and out and there appears to be no command that is controlling it.  This is the same for all files I open.  Anybody got any ideas why this is happening?

Re: volume and instrumentation changes

Reply #1
My first response would be a reboot...

Assuming you've already done that then I would check for malware, and also check that you're MIDI synth is behaving properly in other MIDI applications.

Has your MIDI synth changed recently?

If you're running XP or older, check MIDI Mapper in control panel and make sure that it hasn't changed the default synth...  This assumes that NWC is using MIDI mapper as the chosen synth...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
My first thought was an accidental switch to a non-GM set of soundfonts....until I got to the part about the music fading in and out. That sounds as though it could be a failing soundcard or corrupted drivers.

Reply #3
well, I checked the sndvol32 and sure enough the midi was turned all the way down.  Now how did that happen?  I read online at your sight that this could be because of MS media player??? or another audio program? 

But that doesn't solve the sound.  Instrumentation sounds weird and I don't know whether it's might speakers on the way to blowing or the sound card.  How do I figure that out?

And one more question....I was supposed to get a CD in the mail with the Noteworthy program on it, but so far haven't.  Am I being too impatient?  I was told that it was sent, but I should have received it by now.  Is there any way I can get another one sent?

Reply #4
Instrumentation sounding strange is usually caused by a change in the MIDI setup. Not all MIDI devices map to the same set of sound fonts...meaning that an instrument patch that calls up a violin in one device might call up a tuba or a clarinet in another. Try changing the playback device under "MIDI options" and see if that helps. ("Available play devices" are the ones you can change to; "Devices used by playback" are what the program is currently using. For best results, there should be only one device in this list.)

Reply #5
I was supposed to get a CD in the mail with the Noteworthy program on it, but so far haven't.  Am I being too impatient? 

Your original CD was shipped in late November 2007. You should have received it by now. A new package was sent 3 days prior to your quoted query, by your request, on 03-January-2008, so I am not sure why you are inquiring again publicly about this....