Skip to main content
Topic: Messe a trois voix (Read 6205 times) previous topic - next topic

Messe a trois voix

Hello NWC-enthusiasts,
At http://www.choeurjussieu.org/cuj/Caplet-Messe3Voix.html I found the "Messe a trois voix" by Caplet.
The problem with these Midi-files is that they start with 3/8 rests - which are not easy to get rid of.
I fed the Midi-file into a very old version of Midisoft Studio, but as this is mainly a Windows 95 program it does not work well anymore.
It only accepts small portions (one staff at a time, or less) and crashes easily.
The advantage of Midisoft Studio is that it combines notes that were tied across bar lines - not always a desired behaviour, but in this case exactly what I want.
Removing the rest in Noteworthy does not work too well; I am still stuck with many tied notes.

Any suggestions for such a task: is another Midi-editor an option, should I go for a very clever user tool - or am I overlooking something?
cheers, Rob.

Re: Messe a trois voix

Reply #1
If you are looking for a "NWC only" solution, it is somewhat effective to simply delete the initial rests after import, then export and re-import.

Reply #2
   Hi, Rob.

You'll find a good and downloadable copy of Midisoft Recording Studio - Version 1.11 - which works fine with most Windows OSs, on my Website - http://www.thehoopers.demon.co.uk.  It deals with the Kyrie (at least) OK.

My Site also has a downloadable copy of a later Studio - Version 4.

Eric's suggestion is quite good, save that - or so I find - any import of Midi into Noteworthy (Versions 1, anyway) loses all the dynamics, and so on ... though the Kyrie doesn't seem to have any, so that won't bother you.

MusicJohn, 17/Dec/07

Reply #3
You might try MF2T. Details: <here>
For Caplet-Messe3Voix-1-Kyrie.mid, you get this:
Quote from: MF2T Output
MFile 1 5 480
MTrk
0 Meta Marker "Created by Rosegarden"
0 Meta Marker "http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/"
0 Tempo 500000
0 TimeSig 4/4 24 8
720 Tempo 681818
720 Meta TrkEnd
TrkEnd
It didn't take me long to figure out that:
Quote from: Rick G.'s mod
MFile 1 5 480
MTrk
0 Meta Marker "Created by Rosegarden"
0 Meta Marker "http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/"
0 Tempo 681818
720 KeySig -3 major
720 TimeSig 2/2 24 8
720 Meta TrkEnd
TrkEnd
imports quite nicely.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Wow, three VERY useful answers in such a short time!
Then again, that's not very special in this forum. Thanks, I regard these as my Free Christmas Gifts.
I can now produce nwc-scores of the whole Caplet Mass. And, in turn, make fellow singers (f) very happy.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #5
Hi MusicJohn,
I now have your version of Midisoft Recording Session. Strange enough, this seems to be an older version of Midisoft Studio!
Even stranger - Midisoft Recording Session works fine, where Midisoft Studio does not. But this is exactly what I wanted, so thank you very much indeed!

Reply #6
   Hi, Rob.

I'm glad Session works for you.  I like it - and have used it ever since my Windows 3.1 days back in the early 90s.  Interestingly, as a DOS/3.1 program it works fine when so used, but has odd quirks with 95, 98 or 2000 (and probably later, too).  One particularly irritating feature is its inability in these later Windows OSs to deal properly with tempos based on quaver or minim time (in Noteworthy I use a hidden Tempo track which provides crotchet-time "imitations:  4/4 instead of 2/2, and 3/4 instead of 6/8, and so on, work OK and get the bar lines in the right places).  Another is its failure to produce output Midi Files that play correctly, as regards tempos and channels, in Windows Media Player even though they're fine in Session itself.  But I haven't found a real substitute, so I continue using it.

Good luck!

MusicJohn, 19/Dec/07

Reply #7
Rick, your suggestion is also very workable. For the "Messe" I am quite happy now (even though I still have to do some backwarding and forwarding between Session and Noteworthy) but as I am quite capable of dealing with Ascii-files, changing Midi into text gives me full power.
Just as .nwctxt has opened the option of "preparing a score for rehearsal": I simply export something I found on the Internet to .nwctxt, run my TSE-macro "PrepareForRehearsal" and re-import.
Power to musicians!

Reply #8
And I realised only now that "MusicJohn" equals "Musician"!
How subtle.