Skip to main content
Topic: A question about lyric spacing. (Read 5134 times) previous topic - next topic

A question about lyric spacing.

Hi I have a song I am trying to enter that has The words sweet, the or then under two notes,

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:-3,-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:-4,-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

At the beginning of the song, I played a little with extra _. In the middle of the 1st
line is similar notes to use with Go, With The and In. The thing I've been trying with
extra underscores, don't seem to have any effect other than to widen the space the
two notes are spread over.

I assume there may already be a link out there to deal with this. If so
I would love a pointer. .

I have one other issue. I have the following in another song

!|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-1o|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:8th|Pos2:n-2o|Color:0|Visibility:Default

When it prints, I get double notes on the A. Is  this the kind of thing need text spacing for
and how should it work?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

dwight

Re: A question about lyric spacing.

Reply #1
You can add spaces around your underscores to skip extra lyric syllables. For a full description, please refer to:

FAQ - Getting started with lyrics
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/15.htm

With regard to your second clip, I do not see anything unusual. You can send the whole file to support, and we can review it.

Reply #2
The thing I've been trying with extra underscores, don't seem to have any effect other than to widen the space the two notes are spread over.
Alas, that is the primary effect. Any shifting (what I suspect you are trying for) is offset by increased note spacing.

NWC's lyric mechanism can usually be made to work for popular songs with few verses and some choral works where page turns and rythmic spacing of notes are of little importance, but it is inadequate for hymns, songs where cue notes indicate different notes for each verse, and songs where page turns must be minimized. For these, you just have to "bite the bullet" and put it all in as text.

Where extensive cue notes are needed, you just have to use something other than NoteWorthy. It pains me to write that, but as of Beta 2.21, it is true.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Even though the music doesn't show a slur in those points,
the song is sung with it. By adding a slur on the first note of
these part, it is working ok.

Thank you for you suggestions.

Dwight

Reply #4
One other thing re relating lyric syllables to notes: in NWC2, there is a check box in the "note properties" box to specify whether or not a note is supposed to have a lyric syllable attached to it. A good reason to upgrade if you haven't already done so....

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #5
Note: This option also exists in NWC1.