Skip to main content
Topic: Trouble entering a couple chords or note combination. (Read 4800 times) previous topic - next topic

Trouble entering a couple chords or note combination.

I have a song I entered in the int NWC2 and it plays nicely, but
in order to get the notes timed right I had to use 2 sets of treble lines
and two bass lines. When I combined them into one, it came out with
all kinds of wierd characters from the rests on the overlayed line.

I have a measure of it at
  http://www.therpgpro.com/photo/Music%20Notes.jpg

The first notes on the bass line aren't allowed as a chord. I can't enter a rest as a note in a chord.

In the treble line the last chord isn't allowed. If the I enter the chord part for the top, then try the stem for the other notes in the chord going down and the note is between the notes already in the chord it is not allowed. I get the same sound as when I try making a chord with a rest in it.

Am I doing it wrong, or is it something to be considered for a fix?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

This is an awesome product and I'm amazed I got all the notes to sound at the correct time. It would be even better if I can enter these combination.

Dwight

Re: Trouble entering a couple chords or note combination.

Reply #1
You might try one of the variations attached.

Arpeggios need a User Font. Extra Note Space on Beat 2 is either 0 or 1. Someday we may be able to make it 0.5, but not yet.

A properly designed replacement font for NWC2STDA.ttf can be used to simulate 0.5 spacing, but this will use up one of the noteheads (diamond or x), or one of the rests. These need to be done on a song by song basis after carefully examining the entire song.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I understand it has trouble wiht Arpeggios, and I will check out the NWC2STDA.ttf and see if it can help me. My trouble is with the notes in the treble clef above the Arpeggio. Where the two notes with tails up quarter E & G is chorded together with eighth C. I have been putting in the 1/4 notes, then change the note to 1/8 tail down, move cursor up to C. It simply gives me the audio ding that says "Not allowed."

Before I get too frustrated over this bass part, I just tried making it give me an error and I ended up with a bass note with a 1/8 rest over it, I was tried to get it to repeat, and couldn't.

Most of the time I get the same results if I try to enter notes as part of a bass rest and a chord note with it.

Thanks for the idea.

Dwight

Reply #3
G'day Dwight,
<snip> My trouble is with the notes in the treble clef above the Arpeggio. Where the two notes with tails up quarter E & G is chorded together with eighth C. I have been putting in the 1/4 notes, then change the note to 1/8 tail down, move cursor up to C. It simply gives me the audio ding that says "Not allowed."

Before you get too frustrated, this construct is impossible in NWC without the use of layers.  See Rick's example...

Before I get too frustrated over this bass part, I just tried making it give me an error and I ended up with a bass note with a 1/8 rest over it, I was tried to get it to repeat, and couldn't.

Most of the time I get the same results if I try to enter notes as part of a bass rest and a chord note with it.

When chording a note with a rest, the rest must be entered first, and it must be of equal or shorter duration than the note(s) to be chorded with it.

So, for the Minim B and quaver rest chord in your example you:
  • Press <Shift-UP> to set the stem direction
  • Press <4> to set duration
  • Press <space> to place the rest
  • Press <Shift-Dn> to set the new stem direction
  • Press <2> to set the duration
  • <Arrow> to the B line
  • Press <Ctrl-Enter> to place the Minim

voila, restchord created.  To finish off the 2 beats, <Shift-Up> to change stem direction again and you know the rest...

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thank you so much. That cleaned up my whole bass line mess and allowed me to get rid of the extra staff and rests that were there! :> :>

Here is the 1st 4 measures of the treble line. http://www.therpgpro.com/photo/Music%20Notes%202.jpg

I have been placing rests in all the time when nothing is happening in the 2nd layer. In this sample, I have the first measure in the main layer, and rests in the second. The second measure I have the notes with tails up in the main and the tails down in the second, the third measure all are in the main one.

How does it know to go where you have it in your sample? What does the anchor do in this situation and how do I get it there?

I used the principal from the bass line to get the 1/8 G flat in a chord with the 1/8 rest at the begining of this line! it worked perfect.

If I can get around those issues and not have to have  a lot of rests hiding in the layer with the extra notes, it can work out. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Dwight

Reply #5
How does it know to go where you have it in your sample? What does the anchor do in this situation and how do I get it there?
The "anchor" is spacing text:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Text|Text:" "|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:6|Wide:Y|Placement:AtNextNote
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
It keeps the natural from colliding with the stem of the previous note.

You might try these 2 staves for you jpeg example:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:Bb,Eb,Ab,Db
|TimeSig|Signature:3/4
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-3,-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:b-3,-2,0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-6,1|Opts:XNoteSpace=1
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:2,4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:1,3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:b5|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:4th,Dotted|Opts:Stem=Down,VertOffset=2000|Visibility:Never
|Rest|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down,VertOffset=2000|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-2,3|Opts:Stem=Up,XNoteSpace=1
Code: [Select · Download]
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:Bb,Eb,Ab,Db
|TimeSig|Signature:3/4
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down,NoLegerLines,Muted|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-1z
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5|Opts:Stem=Down
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Down
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:n-3|Opts:Stem=Down
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Down
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-4,-2|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4,n-1|Opts:Stem=Down
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-3,0,2,4|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-1,2,4|Opts:Stem=Down
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Text|Text:" "|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:6|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:n0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar

Reply #6
I'm starting to get it. I was at basic note entry, just pressing spaces and enter for my notes. I never tried getting to note properties.

I see after you place a note, you can select properties and specify the visibility. That is nice.

How do you get vertical offset 2000? If I try Vertical offset it only allows me up to 15.

If I go into the ones on measure 4 of the first stave the rests say 15. I added a measure after the second stave and put in a doted quarter rest gave visibility never and the vertical offest of 15 like the other measure. It show it way under the A-D area of the measure above. I must be missing something still, but I am getting closer.

Thank you

Dwight

Reply #7
How do you get vertical offset 2000? If I try Vertical offset it only allows me up to 15.
Once I get a few of these set up, I usually just copy and then paste them.

If you want to modify the Vertical Offset directly see: RestChords - hiding the rest (NWC2)
For Command change "RestChord' to "Rest"

Reply #8
I used the items you gave me, and copied them into my song and they work perfectly. I used
the techniques in a couple different songs. Thank you for bearing with me

Dwight