Skip to main content
Topic: What is the default dynamic? (Read 8874 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the default dynamic?

If I change my dynamic of a note within a song, how do I change the dynamic back to what it was? I know I can change it to any of the available options, but which is the default at the start of a song?

Thank you.
Al

Re: What is the default dynamic?

Reply #1
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I guess I did not word my question properly. Let's assume I have a 3 measure song. The first measure is a a normal (default?) volume. In measure 2 I click on Insert, then Dynamic, then I choose Fortissimo (fff). Measure 2 is now much louder. I would like to set measure 3 and the rest of the song to the same volume as measure 1. What do I choose from the Dynamic selection that implies "go back to the previous volume?" In other words, which of the eight choices, ppp, pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, or fff was the first measure set to?

I'm new to this program and music in general so I apologize if my question is worded poorly, but I don't know how else to state it.

Thank you.
Al

Reply #3
The default note velocity is 110. This is between ff (108) and fff (127). So ff is closest. If you want to return exactly to the startup note velocity, put a dynamic in before the first note and then return to that dynamic.

Reply #4
Thank you Rick, that answers my question.
Al

Reply #5
I always thought it was forte... now I'm really confused...

Reply #6
I thought in general music, one assumed mezzo forte unless otherwise notated?

Reply #7
I thought in general music, one assumed mezzo forte unless otherwise notated?
I would not make that assumption. I would choose a level consistent with the reason that the music is being played.

Reply #8
I concur with Rick. Context is the most important guide to dynamic level - even more than the dynamics chosen by the composer, which will give you the relative dynamics within the piece but are not necessarily a good guide to the absolute level the piece should be played at in any particular situation.

Bill

Reply #9
Are we talking about the assumed default dynamic in printed sheet music if no dynamic level is indicated, or the default loudness in a NoteworthyComposer file if no dynamic marking is present?  Reading the original post and comments, it seems that we are discussing the NWC loudness.

Music software can't read printed music, so it has to be told how loud to play, and not just one, but two MIDI settings influence that.  They are Volume and Velocity.  Think of Volume as the volume slider on a mixer, and think of Velocity as how hard (or fast) one strikes a piano key or blows into a wind instrument or bows or plucks a string.  Velocity changes not only the loudness but, on most instruments, the tonal quality of the note, and some MIDI synths respond to that and imitate both the loudness change and the tonal quality change.  Volume doesn't change the tonal quality, but makes the same tonal quality louder or softer.

NWC's dynamic markings and dynamic variance (cresc. decresc.) change the Volume.  The dynamic variance changes the Volume with successive notes according to the dynamic markings before and after the cresc. or decresc.  But you cannot cresc. a long note this way.  If you want a cresc. over 4 measures and there are 2 tied whole notes followed by shorter notes, there will be no loudness change until the 3rd measure!

For that reason and to make balancing the parts (staffs, MIDI tracks) easier not only within a composition but for other users playing the file back with different synths, MIDI sequencing pros recommend using Expression controllers to produce dynamic levels and changes and Volume to set overall track level to balance the parts.

I usually set the Volume of all staffs at 110 for headroom and use text expressions instead of NWC's active dynamic markings.  The actual dynamics are produced by inserting hidden MPCs (Multi-Point Controllers) that will keep the dynamics and changes proportional within the part even when the level of the entire part is adjusted with the Volume in the MIDI tab to balance parts.

To set a dynamic level, insert a MPC Expression controller, Style-Absolute.  To produce a dynamic change, insert a MPC Expression controller, Style-Linear Sweep, keeping in mind the base rhythm value and number of beats over which the dynamic change occurs.  For more detail on how to use MPCs go to NWC's Help or search the Forum.

Reply #10
G'day Milton,
<snip>
NWC's dynamic markings and dynamic variance (cresc. decresc.) change the Volume.
<snip>

I concur except that NWC's dynamic markings and dynamic variance change the velocity.  The velocity is only relevent when commencing a note thus a change of velocity during a note doesn't do squat.  This is why changing velocity on a wind instrument doesn't produce a swell or the like - for that you need an expression controller - as you have alluded to.

NWC does provide the ability to change channel volume as well as velocity when placing a dynamic, but these are overrides, not defaults.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
Actually, NWC dynamic markings and dynamic variances affect the velocity, not the volume. The only ways to change the volume are to set it in Staff Properties or to insert an MPC.

As for what we are talking about, the original thread was talking about MIDI, and I'm glad to see it brought back to that; but Matta's post talked about general music performance, or at least that's what I assumed in my reply. I believe Rick assumed the same thing.

I like your idea of setting the staff volume to 110 to allow some headroom (that will take care of the occasional ffff). But your method seems a bit awkward to me. You can set the MIDI properties for each staff in the Staff Properties box - including resetting the default velocity for dynamics on that staff. Wouldn't that do the job without having to resort to MPCs? Except, of course, for the ffff, which will still have to be inserted as a text object and an MPC.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #12
Thanks for the correction about volume vs. velocity in NWC's dynamics.  The use of MPCs for dynmaics may seem awkward until you have a part with several dynamic changes and variances that is later found much too soft or loud in relation to the other parts.  Does changing the Volume in Staff Properties keep the proportional changes in loudness in dynamic levels and changes if Velocity is used to produce those vs. using Expression?  Also, using Velocity for dynamic variances still has the problem of not changing the loudness on long held notes.  I find whatever awkwardness is involved by using MPCs outweighed by the control they give over dynamics.  But that's part of the beauty of NWC is the many ways it allows one to achieve a desired result!

Reply #13
G'day Milton,
<snip>
Does changing the Volume in Staff Properties keep the proportional changes in loudness in dynamic levels and changes if Velocity is used to produce those vs. using Expression?

Yes

Also, using Velocity for dynamic variances still has the problem of not changing the loudness on long held notes.

True - I use Expression MPC's for this.  If I have a need to do this I will usually set an Expression MPC at the start of each staff set to, say, 64 (half the range).  This gives me headroom in both directions.  The actual setting will ultimately be dependant on what I need to achieve - it could well be initially up around 100 too.

I don't always know when I start a work if I'll need this, but you can add it later without upsetting the balance.

I find whatever awkwardness is involved by using MPCs outweighed by the control they give over dynamics.  But that's part of the beauty of NWC is the many ways it allows one to achieve a desired result!

Concur
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #14
Milton said:
Does changing the Volume in Staff Properties keep the proportional changes in loudness in dynamic levels and changes if Velocity is used to produce those vs. using Expression?  Also, using Velocity for dynamic variances still has the problem of not changing the loudness on long held notes.

Yes - The output dynamic depends on all 3 - (roughly) Volume x Expression x Velocity.
If you use Volume for Track Balance use Expression for swells and fades on held notes and Velocity for accents.
You can use Velocity for dynamics with percussive and plucked instruments and on short note values but Expression is a better option.