Skip to main content
Topic: my friend is having noteworthy (unregistered) problems. No sound is playing. (Read 5170 times) previous topic - next topic

my friend is having noteworthy (unregistered) problems. No sound is playing.

Him and I are working on composing songs for a game I'm creating, and he's in the middle of a song, and all of the sudden, when he presses play on noteworthy, it highlights the notes as if its playing, but no sound is coming out. His sound is on, he has restarted his computer twice and it didn't fix, and midi files he plays through other programs play just fine.

What is wrong with his Noteworthy?

Re: my friend is having noteworthy (unregistered) problems. No sound is playing.

Reply #2
He says its still not working

Re: my friend is having noteworthy (unregistered) problems. No sound is playing.

Reply #3
He says its still not working
Small wonder, since 15 minutes is not nearly enough time to read, digest and try everything in FAQ 65 and its associated links.

The most common cause of this is pausing a MIDI file in MicroSoft's Media Player. Pausing causes it to set the MIDI volume to zero for every other application that uses MIDI. It is just their nice way of saying: "use our product to play your MIDI files".
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
In general, there are only three possible causes for not hearing anything when playing:

1) About 99.5% of the time, the problem is caused by the Windows Volume Control Panel.

2) About 0.49% of the time, there is a problem with the MIDI Mapper setup on the computer. This usually can be cured by going to the Multimedia section of the Control Panel.

3) In about 0.01% of the cases, there is a sound card driver problem that does not report an error message, but this is very rare. The cure in this case is to ensure proper MIDI driver setup with your equipment.

There is one last possibility, which is the device selection in Staff Properties and Tools, Options Midi. Try using the sample files that come with the program, then check your Tools, Options, Midi settings. Please try one play back device at a time in this process.

Reply #5
> There is one last possibility, which is the device selection in Staff Properties and Tools > Options > Midi.

If you have just added a hardwire device (such as a music keyboard), the above possibility may well be the cause of no sound (especially if you had sound before).  Try different device settings until you hit upon a combination that allows for both input and sound.

Also, Windows Volume Control - the one with the multiple slide-bars - is a little deceptive.  Even if "Volume Control" is set to a positive value, if the slide-bar for "SW Synth" is at the bottom (which seems to happen by itself sometimes), you will get no sound.  Make sure all the slide-bars are up.