Skip to main content
Topic: Key "0"  (Read 3842 times) previous topic - next topic

Key "0"

The key 0 is a very good idea. Just reset everything which you can do to basic, most common parameters.

But I think a better idea is to replace the quarternote (as standard) with the basic value which is currently active in the current staff/bar. So if your in 6/8 the eighthnote is probably the note you need.

Re: Key "0"

Reply #1
You could also say that the cursor should move to middle C according to the Clef, or that it should move to the tonic according to the Key.

In the olden days, some recorder macros relied on 0 key to set things to a known state. Recorder hasn't shipped with Windows for about 10 years, but it still works on XP. I use it to set F11 to run the last User Tool, but my macro doesn't depend on the 0 key.

Lawrie Pardy's thoughts on the 0 key are <here>
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
G'day Steele; Rick,
Having the 0 reset everything as it now does but changing the time value to match the time sig. base wouldn't worry me, I'd automatically override it anyhow.

Buuut, moving the insertion point to somewhere other than position 0 on the staff (the centre line) would really stuff me up!

When I'm transcribing something I don't care what the note is, I don't care what clef is on the staff, I'm just interested in the vertical position and I <up/down-Arrow> from there.  To arbitrarily change the 0 reset position according to clef would screw up the flow for me.

IOW I don't mind the first suggestion, it would actually make no difference to me, but the second would be very unwelcome!

Rick, I suspect you were, perhaps, being a little "tongue in cheek"?  I certainy hope so anyhow :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Rick, I suspect you were, perhaps, being a little "tongue in cheek"?  I certainy hope so anyhow :)
Just a bit. But if duration is going to be context sensitive, why not pitch? In 12/8, perhaps the default duration should be a dotted quaver.

Reply #4
G'day Rick,
Just a bit. But if duration is going to be context sensitive, why not pitch? In 12/8, perhaps the default duration should be a dotted quaver.

When editing, NWC seems to be more oriented to staff POS rather than "what note is this" - that bit's figured out later.  When editing, I do the same, don't you?

I see the "0" as a "reset" to known, consistent settings - for the most part I don't think a reset should should be context sensitive.  It should be a "return to 0" that is constant...  IMHO

Reply #5
When editing, NWC seems to be more oriented to staff POS rather than "what note is this" - that bit's figured out later.  When editing, I do the same, don't you?
I think in intervals. Up a third, let's see ... that's 2 up arrows. Down a 7th... that's control+down, then up. A 64th... thats 6- (I can remember when it was 6+) An accent, where'd what get moved to, ok... shift+1

A half note B... that's 0+... no wait, this is Beta 2.24 and I'm in 6/8. Why am I entering a half note in 6/8?
Just kidding. I always use 02 for a half note B.

Reply #6
G'day Rick,
I think in intervals. Up a third, let's see ... that's 2 up arrows. Down a 7th... that's control+down, then up. A 64th... thats 6- (I can remember when it was 6+) An accent, where'd what get moved to, ok... shift+1

A half note B... that's 0+... no wait, this is Beta 2.24 and I'm in 6/8. Why am I entering a half note in 6/8?
Just kidding. I always use 02 for a half note B.

Hmm, come to think of it, that's a better explanation than mine but is pretty much what I wanted to convey.  Thankyou for saying it more clearly.

We seem to work pretty much the same - great minds, huh?  :)