Skip to main content
Topic: User Fonts (Read 3805 times) previous topic - next topic

User Fonts

I code 4-part choral music (like from CPDL) for my church choir and for another choir I'm in.  As there are quite a few "user fonts" available for Noteworthy and the program allows for six, is there a standard/consensus on which should be included in a "typical" NWC document for choral music?  If so, in what order?

Is there (or, probably more rightly, could there be) a suggested "template" of these fonts and a quick reference list of what each provides?

Example:
   User font 1 Boxmarks
   User font 2 cresc
   User font 3 NWSlur
etc.

Then a one-page list showing what Boxmarks codes provide what graphic, followed by cresc, and NWSlur...

This would be most helpful for the occasional user such as me.  I only have about 2900 choral selections, and since 1999, have altered my templates to include some of the fonts, but I invariably end up having to add another or rearrange a template, then I really get screwed up!  How are all you handling situations such as these??

Many thanks (and I LOVE some of your posts on other topics!!) and still awaiting NWC2 (non-beta.  I don't do beta.)
Doug Baumann

Re: User Fonts

Reply #1
G'day Doug,
Is there (or, probably more rightly, could there be) a suggested "template" of these fonts and a quick reference list of what each provides?

Then a one-page list showing what Boxmarks codes provide what graphic, followed by cresc, and NWSlur...

AFAIK there is no standard user font template aside from what we each decide on for ourselves.  This is not unreasonable as we each seem to have different priorities.

As for a "Quick Reference", try here for Boxmarks and NWCV15 (the NWC1.75 system font)

http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/helpful/boxmark.pdf

Otherwise, if you go to the Scripto fonts page:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts

You'll find some suites that I've put together - the instructional PDFs included in the zip files contain full references to the relevant fonts.

Many thanks (and I LOVE some of your posts on other topics!!) and still awaiting NWC2 (non-beta.  I don't do beta.)

We do have some lively conversations don't we..?  As for the NWC2 beta - don't let the beta tag put you off - just get it - the additional features and general improvements are well worth it.

Better font support, user tools, improved slurs (though they aren't perfect yet), the list goes on and it just don't crash.  In fact, the ONLY crashes I've had with NWC2 have turned out to be Windows related and not NWC2 specific, though so they have all been coded around in NWC2 now.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
We do have some lively conversations don't we..?  As for the NWC2 beta - don't let the beta tag put you off - just get it - the additional features and general improvements are well worth it.

Better font support, user tools, improved slurs (though they aren't perfect yet), the list goes on and it just don't crash.  In fact, the ONLY crashes I've had with NWC2 have turned out to be Windows related and not NWC2 specific, though so they have all been coded around in NWC2 now.

Agreed.  NWC2's improvements are well-worth the very few bugs.

Reply #3

It seems that the call for the definitive release of NWC2 gets louder.
The current version of NWC2 is such that I would not call it beta anymore.
I can hear Engelbert Humperdinck already: "Please release me, let me go!"
I would welcome it very much. The release, that is, not Humperdinck.

cheers,
Rob.

Reply #4
For a laugh, look up the "singer" Engelbert Humperdinck in Baker's Biographical Dictionary.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995