Skip to main content
Topic: pause during playback (Read 5430 times) previous topic - next topic

pause during playback

It occurs to me, as I work on a new score in which sonority needs to be fine-tuned at various points, that being able to pause playback and then start up again at the same spot would be a valuable addition to NWC. Ideally, the point in the score that was being played when the pause button was pressed would remain highlighted (assuming "chase playing notes" was turned on), which would make it easier to find the place in the music you want to work on. Shouldn't be too hard to implement - most of the code could be borrowed from the "stop" and "start playing from cursor" functions.

Re: pause during playback

Reply #1
Yes please.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Yes pretty please.

Reply #3
Where's the problem?  When I stumble while rehearsing, a quick click on "stop" followed by a click on the measure at which I want to restart is too little effort to notice.  Indeed anything done to fine tune the sonority will leave the playback restart point at the beginning of the adjusted measure, which is presumably where you want to restart anyway, unless for some reason you don't want to hear the results of your adjustment.

Reply #4
Pause wil stop repeats that have already played from repeating again, and again...

Reply #5
Pause wil stop repeats that have already played from repeating again, and again...
I set up my tempo track to work around this problem.  If the regular parts have a 1.2.3.4. ending and a 5. ending, I make the "conductor" have a 1. ending, a 2. ending, a 3. ending, a 4. ending, and a 5. ending.  I also have a way to get around D. S.s and such.  After I get back up and running (after TWO hard drives crashes this summer!), I'll try to find a score in which I've used this technique (don't hold your breath, though - recovery is a sloooow process...), or you could try to figure it out on your own if you can't wait for me.

Reply #6
G'day K.A.T.
Good idea! 

But I still think having a pause function is worthwhile - I often find myself playing back a piece - just listening for balance and errors etc. and getting interruptions from phone or family and the like - a pause function would let me just pause the music and then continue without having to think of it ahead of time...  Or have to find my place in the tempo staff...

This isn't really a big deal, just a nice to have.

Reply #7
The problem is that when you press "stop" the highlight showing the current location of the playback disappears. That can make it hard to find the precise spot I want to work on....especially when (as is often the case) I'm listening with my eyes closed in order to concentrate on the sonorities rather than the printed notes. I hover a finger over the F6 key when I do that, so I can stop quickly, but I often still get lost. A well-designed pause key could remedy that.

Reply #8
Exactly, exactly, exactly!
I do the same thing, especially when I am "eagle earing". Not being able to see where Noteworthy stopped is a real pain - and it should be very easy to remedy. It would help me greatly (already) if Ctrl-G would mention the bar where I pressed F6 - instead of the bar where I pressed F5.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #9
Yes, a way of keeping track of which repeat one is in during pause, and specifying which one you want to start in when not starting at measure one would be very helpful.  I have occasionally been reduced to cutting and pasting a five or six measure clip of a song when working on learning a second ending with a nasty twist or surprise change from the first.

Reply #10
I still think having a pause function is worthwhile
Me, too, but I needed it long ago, so I created the hack...