Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot get correct NWC or font Icons. (Read 3664 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot get correct NWC or font Icons.

Help, please!  I`ve just done a complete system restore, clearing my C drive. Having previously saved NWC to my back up drive D, I now find that all my NWC files now show the "Windows cannot open" icons instead of the usual green piano with red notes.   I have just re downloaded the Boxmarks font, but instead of the normal blue font icon, this too is showing the  "Windows cannot open" icon, and therefore will not load into my main icon folder.  What am I doing wrong??  Thanks. Stokots

Re: Cannot get correct NWC or font Icons.

Reply #1
By "System restore" I assume you mean a reinstallation of Windows.  In this case you will need to re-install ALL your programs, not simply copy them from a backup drive as there will be registry keys that need to be re-established.

I hate having to get a new machine going for myself - takes weeks to get everything reinstalled the way I like it...  :(

Boxmarks is distributed as a zip file - unless you unzip it you won't get a font icon, and if you don't have a zip utility like winzip installed you won't have a zip icon either...  Unless you have XP in which case it will look like a folder with a zipper up the left side.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Reinstalling the NWC2 Viewer is the easiest way to fix file associations. This is true even if you don't have NWC2 installed. First, make sure that Noteworthy Composer (and optionally NWC2) are working. By "working" I mean that you can launch the program and open a *.nwc file.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Thanks, guys (or gals). I`ve implemented both of the above suggestions re NWC and it is working fine. However - still problems with the fonts.  I`ve downloaded and unzipped Boxmarks, Cresc. and nworn3 fonts and all are appearing with the `windows cannot open` icons, instead of the normal blue ones.  I can open these in this form, but they will not copy into my fonts folder, in which all existing fonts are in their normal blue "livery". Never had this problem before.  Any solutions?   Many thanks.   stokots.

Reply #4
You need to repair your file associations for *.ttf files. The repair method varies from one flavor of windows to another. Go to MicroSoft's website and search for a solution.

For a quick fix, search for the file: fontview.exe and mke a note of its location
(mine is in C:\WINDOWS, but yours may be in a sub folder.)
  • Right click (or possibly shift right click) on the font file name.
  • Select Open with ...
  • Click on the Browse button
  • Navagate to and Select fontview.exe
This should launch a popup with, e.g., Boxmarks (TrueType)
As long as the window is active, the font is installed.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Help, please!  I`ve just done a complete system restore, clearing my C drive. Having previously saved NWC to my back up drive D, I now find that all my NWC files now show the "Windows cannot open" icons instead of the usual green piano with red notes.   I have just re downloaded the Boxmarks font, but instead of the normal blue font icon, this too is showing the  "Windows cannot open" icon, and therefore will not load into my main icon folder.  What am I doing wrong??  Thanks. Stokots

There seems to be some confusion on your font file.  If you're looking at a *.ttf or *.fon file, then it sounds like you need to restore the file associations.  If you're looking at a *.zip file, make sure you have compressed folders enabled (this is in the add/remove programs > additional components area.  As far as NWC goes, make sure you've installed it on your freshly wiped C drive, as that is where it resided in its former life.