Skip to main content
Topic: Multiple Instruments in One Staff (Read 3432 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple Instruments in One Staff

I would like to bypass an Organ relay progam like MidiTzer and be able to define multiple simultanious instruments playing from one staff. 

I have been "fiddling" with this for several days and haven't really come up with an easy way.  What I am trying to emulate is a Pipe Organ that allows me to REMOVE and or ADD "stops" at any point in a single staff/channel.

Something I missed?

Best Regards, TOistWannabe

Re: Multiple Instruments in One Staff

Reply #1
Multiple, CONCURRENT instruments on one channel - NO - there is a fiddle that will work with some synths but this is not really a choice for a whole work...

Multiple, CONCURRENT instruments on multiple channels - sure, and you could layer the staves (one channel per staff) to make it appear as one staff.

Multiple CONSECUTIVE instruments on one staff - fine, just place instrument changes as you go... <I>

Hope this helps some...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
In NWC, you can have multiple instruments on one staff - by CHEATING!  You do still have to create each instrument on a separate staff first with a unique MIDI channel, but then you can layer the separate staves into one staff.  If the instruments are not playing for the entire time, you will have to insert rests to keep the timing of the parts in sync :(  But you can make the rests properties to display never :) to keep the resulting layered staff from being cluttered with rests.

Reply #3
Sorry, Lawrie, I hadn't read your post thouroughly to see you had already sugggested layered staves.  Great minds think alike! :)

Reply #5
Okay, so this is not a solution to the original post, but it is possible to have two (or more) instruments on one staff.
[This is not something I normally do, but the technique has come in handy at times...]

Reply #6
K.A.T., clever for this particular situation, a long sustained voice against a moving voice that starts after the sustained voice.  It would be more problematic if the 2 voices were a similar style.  In that case layered staves would actually be less trouble.