Skip to main content
Topic: NWC2 not properly playing some songs from Scriptorium? (Read 4365 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC2 not properly playing some songs from Scriptorium?

After listening to Carnival of the Animals by Saint-Säens, I was not able to hear the first trumpet on Light Cavalry Overture or the majority of the orchestra on the first and second movements of Tchaik's 4th in F.  These lines are not muted, and I tried using reset.nwc to fix the issue, but to no success.  What's up?

Re: NWC2 not properly playing some songs from Scriptorium?

Reply #1
It may not be caused by NWC2, or NWC1 for that matter, if it will open the piece.  Before I download and check it out myself, I have a suggestion.  On the missing parts, F2 for properties and check the MIDI tab for the patch being used.  It may be on a bank or setting not available on your MIDI synth.  This would be true if some patches specific to, say, Yamaha or Roland that are not GM voices are being used and your synth cannot find an equivalent.

Reply #2
You might also be reaching the polyphony limit of your sound card.  MIDI sound cards and devices can only play so many sounds at once (and some sounds are layered, and as such take up more slots than others).

Have you tried just playing the trumpet line you couldn't hear (press Ctrl-F5 on that track to just play that track).  If you hear the trumpets when doing that, then my guess would be that you are overextending your sound card.

For example, on my keyboard, if I use a particularly busy rhythm part, and then add my playing using a multi-layered instrument with lots of DSP and 10-finger chords, I find I have a lot of dropouts.  That's all because of the polyphony limit.

Anyway, just a thought...
John

Reply #3
G'day Bob,
not sure what the problem is, but I had none.  Tried 3 different synths - all OK

Can't help much I guess - please remind us, what is your audio setup?  Perhaps John's suggestion of a polyphony problem is relevant.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Bob,

I also had a quick look and found no problem (not that I think that any of the other people who had a listen might be wrong), but I was looking from a Scriptorium perspective.

There are a few versions of the "Carnival" - perhaps you could say which one you were playing. I used Ramón Pajares Box's sequence to try this out. Was this the one you were using ?

Which piece did you finish with before moving on to Tchaikovsky ?

Can you try to load the Tchaikovsky diectly onto NWC2 after a boot up and see if you still get the problem (ie a clean boot and no Carnival first).

Rich.

Reply #5
You might also be reaching the polyphony limit of your sound card.  MIDI sound cards and devices can only play so many sounds at once (and some sounds are layered, and as such take up more slots than others).

Have you tried just playing the trumpet line you couldn't hear (press Ctrl-F5 on that track to just play that track).  If you hear the trumpets when doing that, then my guess would be that you are overextending your sound card.

For example, on my keyboard, if I use a particularly busy rhythm part, and then add my playing using a multi-layered instrument with lots of DSP and 10-finger chords, I find I have a lot of dropouts.  That's all because of the polyphony limit.

Anyway, just a thought...

I've tried muting all staves but the first trumpet...and there's this weird silence...

Reply #6
Bob,

I also had a quick look and found no problem (not that I think that any of the other people who had a listen might be wrong), but I was looking from a Scriptorium perspective.

There are a few versions of the "Carnival" - perhaps you could say which one you were playing. I used Ramón Pajares Box's sequence to try this out. Was this the one you were using ?

Which piece did you finish with before moving on to Tchaikovsky ?

Can you try to load the Tchaikovsky diectly onto NWC2 after a boot up and see if you still get the problem (ie a clean boot and no Carnival first).

If I remember correctly, it was something along this order:
Vivaldi's La Primavera: 3allegro, then 1allegro, then the 2nd one...whatever it was.
Scott Joplin's Ragtime (for flute and oboe), Maple Leaf Rag
Carnival of the Animals (in Windows, the first file in the zip folder)
Tchaik's Symphony No. 4: 3rd movement, 1st movement, 2nd movement.
1812 Overture

I didn't listen for all of the parts prior to the first and second movements of the 4th Symphony...partially because it was not an issue which took away from the enjoyment of listening to it (while fiddling along).  I did notice the entire string section missing (or so it seemed) on the 1 and 2 movements, although on the 3rd, which was pizzacatto, I heard them loud and clear, and played along.

I then tried the 1812 Overture and noticed that the string section was missing once again.

I tried using reset.nwc to fix it but my efforts were fruitless.

I've noticed this before, but didn't remember to report it, when I listened to the following sequence:
Holst's Planets Suite (all of them), Carnival of the Animals, Light Cavalry Overture (when I noticed the 1st trumpet was silent, but unmuted).  I remember muting all staves except the trumpet and heard nothing.

As far as my computer goes, I won't rule out that possiblity.  I did think about the possiblity that the files used tracks that didn't exist.  The strings typically fall under a higher-numbered track, so this seems logical.  I just bought a new emachine, and the only device listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers is Realtek High Definiton Audio.

Reply #7
Bob,

You didn't say if you tried to play that from a clean boot - but anyway, I really think that it might be a driver problem.

All I can say is that although I haven't played all of the files you quote, I have played the last before and then the Tchaikovsky. I don't get your problems. There are certainly no missing strings in Tina's 1812.

After this problem happens, I would also like you to change the channel number and see if it plays  with shift f5  (right click - staff properties, midi) if it doesn't play, try changing the instrument. Let us know.

I still feel that it might be a driver problem - but other may have better ideas. Have you tried searching for an updated driver?

I would like to know what happens if you play the symphony No 4 file directly after re-booting.
Rich.