Skip to main content
Topic: WINDOWS VISTA  (Read 7016 times) previous topic - next topic

WINDOWS VISTA

Just as I thought I was settling in nicely with windows xp .My wife tells me that
"Philistines" are coming again and there's no way that you can have a computor
thats older than 2yrs old if you want to upgrade to Windows Vista. How will this affect Note Worthy Composer 1.75b or 2
I here we can expect a remarkable difference in performance ,whats the buzz
on the street or this just another money making hype

Re: WINDOWS VISTA

Reply #1
About whether or not it works, see https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5734.0, mod claims it works.

I wouldn't expect Vista to really affect NWC.  After all, NWC still supports Win95, so all Vista could do is break it by removing old features.

Reply #2
Yeah, well, as usual, I won't be touching this "new" m$ product until at least the first service pack.

We'll watch our customers who choose to have it on their new machines go through all the pain that's gonna come while m$ figure out how badly broken it is.

FYI,
  • the service pack is already being worked on
  • Windows Defender is known to not protect against around 30% of known spyware
  • Windows Defender breaks some m$ products
  • many anti virus products vendors are having a hissy fit 'cos the lockouts on the kernel can let viruses in but not the anti virus products - This is supposedly being addressed...

The list goes on...

The only real user apparent change is the "aero" interface - which is what takes all the extra horsepower.  A big problem with that is there aren't all that many drivers available for aero just yet - the beta's and pre-release code's been around for more than long enough if the hardware vendors were that interested - so you probably won't be able to use your favourite "whatever" card under Vista.

As usual, I guess I'm just not impressed.  We will be working with on this product for a long time before we implement it for ourselves.  I shudder to think what isn't gonna work...  I better not lose my Yamaha softsynth!

Oh yeah, "remarkable difference in performance" - probably down as usual with new m$ products...

Please note - the opinions expressed here are entirely those of the author.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
We will be supporting Vista for both NWC1 and NWC2. There are some user versus admin changes in Vista that could cause some problems, but nothing insurmountable.

Reply #4
  • Windows Defender is known to not protect against around 30% of known spyware
  • Windows Defender breaks some m$ products

I've never found Windows Defender good for anything - a waste of disk space, a waste of memory, a waste of CPU.

A far better product is (IMHO) Spyware Doctor although it's priority does need to be forced to "below normal" to stop it taking over every bit of CPU power.
Rich.

Reply #5
I just heard some nasty things about Vista. Volume control is now per application, so no longer overall. This can have serious consequences. If you have a keyboard with volume control on it, your volume control will affect the application in question, i.e. the keyboard driver/program. Not Noteworthy, not Van Basco, not Windows Media Player.
Maybe this behaviour will be optional in the future, but it bodes ill.

Anyway, nobody has been able to explain why I should get it - yet. I'll wait. And wait. And wait.

Reply #6
removed by author
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7

Reply #10
I recently installed Vista. Looks fine and I liked the layout. However, my Creative Labs Audigy 2 soundcard sounded dreadful. Even downloading the supposed Vista driver from Creative Labs did not improve the situation. I have now returned to Windows XP.
The soundcard now behaves beautifully.
http://www.polleng.freeserve.co.uk/

Reply #11
Ouch! Thanks for the heads up gpollen. That's good to know. Nothing would irritate me more than to have the sound messed up. Very important stuff to us NWC users.