Skip to main content
Topic: Lyric Flow (Read 3459 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyric Flow

I've Long had a problem with Lyric flow in NWC version 1 and It would be good if something could be done about it in version 2.
NWC highlights the lyrics (as it does the notes) as it plays.

When you have a master repeat, with a first time bar - the lyric flow correctly goes to the second line. However, when it gets to the second time bar, coming out of the repeat - the highlighting flow incorrectly stays on the second lyric line and does not revert to the first line lyrics as it should.

No big shakes - but off putting in you are rehearsing and the highlight goes to the wrong place.

(See attachment)
Rich.

Re: Lyric Flow

Reply #1
You may be right, and I'd like to agree with you, but ...
If you look at most any hymnal, the A-men is aligned with the last verse.

I can see your point with some pop music where there are long bridges.  Not so sure about older songs with lots of verses.  But even with those, there are codas or final choruses that should move back up. Not always a problem - if you have more than two verses that condense to one, you are looking at "post-processing" to get the staves closer together.

We seem to need the same kind of "counter" control similar to "Exclude From Bar Count"
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Of course you can just move the offending words to lyric tab 1.  Yes, I know that could be confusing to someone editing the file at a later date, but so are most layering hacks.

A related hack is the case where you have several verses and want the (identical) chorus to be centered vertically with relation to the verse texts.  I've done this with layering, with a muted/invisible staff holding the chorus whose lyrics are adjusted vertically.  The visible staves have no lyrics for the chorus, the chorus staff none for the verses.  You could also fix the repeat by layering and throw the confusion that way.

Reply #3
Maybe a simple solution for the user -but maybe not for Eric ! - would be to edit a 3-column table generated from staff flow direction commands, with the capability to override the values given by nwc :

play
from_measure  to_measure  verse_number

Alain Falcoz