Skip to main content
Topic: "Long" Notes (Read 8911 times) previous topic - next topic

"Long" Notes

Apologies for asking a question whose answer already been posted:  Is there any way (other than using a visible text glyph and "hidden" tied notes - Thank You Richard W.) to enter notes with more than 4 beats?  I.E. a "whole note" rest will accept the value of the measure's time signature - Shouldn't there to be a quick way of entering a note that will do this.  (I frequently encounter this shortcut in an academic environment)  Even using the above workaround, how does one tie two "breves" together across the barline?

Omar

Re: "Long" Notes

Reply #2
Breves seem to defy a general solution.

They are just like any other note!

Reply #3
Not always.  I have seen cases where breves are treated in the same way as semi-breve rests are now, that is they "fill the measure" in the absence of any other notes in the same measure.  In at least one case, however, two forms were used, with oval breves have a fixed duration, and rectangular breves being variable.

Reply #4
They [breves] are just like any other note!
If this is true, then this discussion is moot. Simply use one of those other notes in place of the breve!

But there are other issues:
  • how does a breve/longa align with other notes in a split chord?
  • how does it align with itself?
  • where do the augmentation dots go?
  • where should a slur start or end
  • where should a tie start or end
  • when justifing, how much horiontal space should a breve/longa occupy?
  • how do augmentation dots affect justification and slur/tie positioning?
  • how do all of the above change for an an interval of a second?

If there are definite answers for the above for all these formats, a general solution might be in reach.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I don't think we need to be too clever about the requirements. Essentially a breve behaves (graphically) just like a semibreve, except that an interval of a second would have to be spread out a bit more – I'd suggest that the verticals are aligned and overlapped.

Functionally it can be of indeterminate length (particularly in chants) but a fixed length implementation would be perfectly acceptable.

Reply #6
I am a new user without any great computer skills.  Your post seems to imply that a graphic for a breve and a long and a breve rest are available somewhere.  Can you tell me where please?  I'm not too worried about accurate playback, just an accurate score without having to halve note values in early music.

Reply #7
A breve note is available in the Staff symbols font, char '['.

You can also install the fonts contained in the "Pardy Pack" (Lawrie Pardy's fonts).
The Pardy Pack is available from the Scriptorium.
Remember to select one of those font files when editing.

Reply #8
Thanks Flurmy.  I will investigate staff symbols.  Sorry to be an ignoramus, but can't find Pardy pack on Scriptorium.  Do I need to go through some other heading first?

Reply #9
Look under "Helpful files".

Reply #10
Thanks. I can't find "staff symbols" now.  I don't seem to be managing the Noteworthy help manual very well.  I have been spoilt by having access to a housesharer's copy of Finale for many years.

Reply #11
When you insert a text item in a score you get a dialog with the combo "display font".
The very first font listed is the "Staff Symbols" that normally is associated with NWC2STDA.