Skip to main content
Topic: No preview with Wine (Read 4692 times) previous topic - next topic

No preview with Wine

Good day,

Under Wine, I've configured a printer which functions perfectly with NWC2.

The strange thing is, when I try to preview, I get the error message "There is no default printer. A printer must be installed before this operation can be performed".

Apart from that, when printing, the count of pages is at 65535, even if my work is only 2 pages long, but I think this is a consequence of the preceeding, no?

Re: No preview with Wine

Reply #1
A few ideas:
  • Use File->Printer Setup ... to insure that you have a printer selected.
  • Look at File->Page Setup ...->Preview (too bad that you can't copy the info to the Clipboard)
  • If Wine allows you to have a default printer, you should select one.

I'm working in the dark here. The only Wine box I have says Chianti on the side :)

Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Today I upgraded to NWC 2.13 on my Ubuntu system, and at first I had no preview. However, doing Print Setup, as Rick suggested, solved the problem, and preview now works nicely.

--Chris
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #3
A few ideas:
  • Use File->Printer Setup ... to insure that you have a printer selected.
  • Look at File->Page Setup ...->Preview (too bad that you can't copy the info to the Clipboard)
  • If Wine allows you to have a default printer, you should select one.

Of course I've done that already.

Under File/Printer Setup, I get my HP LaserJet declared under CUPS.
Under File/Page Setup.../Preview, I get exactly the same message...

I've tried to reselect it by default under CUPS, but this doesn't do anything.

Strangely enough, Whereas under CUPS, I get a localization of the printer (which I've given to CUPS), under Wine, I don't get it. I don't know if there is of any interest...

Reply #4
Under File/Printer Setup, I get my HP LaserJet declared under CUPS.
Under File/Page Setup.../Preview, I get exactly the same message...
If you get exactly the same message, you have a problem.
You should be getting a page of information from File->Page Setup ...->Preview
Among other things, it should show the size of the page in pixels, for example: Printable Area (2400,3150)
If this is not present, or (0,0), it may explain why the count of pages is at 65535

I would also look in your printer setup/config for options to print as raw or emf. Choose emf.

You might consider installing a PostScript printer along with your HP.  Perhaps toggling between them will kickstart some things ...

Reply #5
Emh... I don't have the EMF nor Raw options.

The driver I use is Postscript. It's then postprocessed to HP-PCL language by CUPS.

Any other idea?

Reply #6
As I said, install more than one printer and toggle between them in NWC2's Printer Setup.
It would be helpful to know what NWC2 reports as your "Printable Area".