Skip to main content
Topic: Staff Labeling (Read 6040 times) previous topic - next topic

Staff Labeling

Well heres my problem. I have arranged a piano piece and at the beginning I want it to say Piano as the part it is. But when I select staff labeling and press preview on the Treble Clef it has Piano, and on the Bass Clef it has Piano-1. But I just want it to say Piano. How do I accomplish this?

This is what is happening: <Image Link>
This is what I want: <Image Link>

Re: Staff Labeling

Reply #1
This feature is not available in NWC1.

It is available in NWC2 using the Staff Label in Staff Properties.

Reply #2
Well I ordered my CD. I hope it will come in soon.

Reply #3
This feature is not available in NWC1.
Well...
If the staves are called " " and "  ", then nothing will show in those spots (I used the nbsp [Alt+0160] for the upper staff and two of them for the lower.).
You then can add the label Piano as a Text Expression, justified right, or you can use a third staff labelled Piano placed between the upper and lower staves.  This staff should have Lines set to zero (I did run across a problem with this method when I first found out about it, but right now I can't remember what it is...).

Reply #5
Label upper staff piano. Leave label for lower staff blank.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #6
I can't it will say its blank I and I need to enter something, I will just wait for NWC2

Reply #7
Carl's tip is probably meant for the NWC2 method. You enter a staff label for the first staff in a grand staff, then leave the other blank.

Reply #8
Don't use a regular space (the spacebar).
Use the non-breaking space (nbsp). Hold the Alt key and press 0160 on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key.
This will give something that looks like a regular space but functions differently.
The nbsp is allowed as a staff label.
I can't attach an example right now because I'm on a foreign computer, but I believe Caverns, found in your samples folder, uses the technique.
See also https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2332.msg12890#msg12890