Skip to main content
Topic: One note shown - another one is sounding (Read 3276 times) previous topic - next topic

One note shown - another one is sounding

Hello,

I wanted to ask if its possible [NWC2beta] to place one note into an regular staff, but having another one sounding. Thats good for harmonics, special tones or even for drums, when I want to use a GM-bank but need a different notation.

In other words, it is possible to transpose just one note or is it possible to make a chord one note muted and one hidden? I know i can do this with a hidden ghost-staff, so this question just deals with a single staff.

Greetings,

Nils

Re: One note shown - another one is sounding

Reply #1
You can, but not directly.
The way I would do it would be to apply transposition.
For instance, take the following Instrument Patch:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Instrument|Trans:-2
That will make a "B" sound like an "A".
Then, of course, once you're done, you have to put
|Instrument|Trans:0
to have it go back to playing the way it looks.

Reply #2
However, you cannot mute just one note within a NWC constructed chord that is on a single staff. The mute capability would apply to the whole chord.

Reply #3
You may be mistaken ;-)

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Chord|Dur:16th,Grace|Pos:-6^,1^|Opts:Stem=Up|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:16th,Grace|Pos:-4^,-2^|Opts:Stem=Up,Muted|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-6,-4,-2,1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #4
A clever solution...the notes that do not sound will still generate a MIDI note off message, although that probably won't do any harm (unless sharing a MIDI channel with other staves).

Reply #5
What would really be useful for percussion purposes would be if one could define custom clefs that mapped positions on the staff to any MIDI note. Much like one can currently have a "user defined" key signature.