Skip to main content
Topic: Overriding my keyboard default (Read 4038 times) previous topic - next topic

Overriding my keyboard default

My keyboard default is for the Dvorak keyboard.  Once in a while, though -- and I can't really say what the circumstances are -- Noteworthy changes it to the other setting I have on the keyboard toolbar (XP), left in place for my wife, a confirmed querty typist.  This is disconcerting, because the same key strokes which, in Dvorak yield ctrl-shift-E yield ctrl-shift-D in querty.  So, when I'm trying to edit, I occasionally delete a staff.  Annoying, this.

Re: Overriding my keyboard default

Reply #1
Funny,
I have the same problem with the Russian keyboard. Sometimes, and again, I don't know what causes it to switch over, strange things happen while using the keyboard shortcuts which immediately alerts me to the fact that I need to change it back before something drastic happens!

Reply #2
You guys don't have a language change hot key or something set up do you?  Windows will support this...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
NWC doesn't have any capacity to make such a change (at least not intentionally). I think Lawrie has the most likely scenario. You might be keying something while using NWC that is triggering some system level hot key.

Reply #4
Fact of the matter is, I am a very slip-shod typist.  This explanation is a good one...though I don't remember this happening until recently.

Reply #5
We most recently added the new paste key combination, Shift+Ctrl+V. Did you start using that combination?

Reply #6
Yes, I have.  The 'v' key on the Dvorak board is where the period is in qwerty.  This, of course, is right above the windows key or the menu key.  However, a quick check of some of those does not indicate a change of keyboard.

Reply #7
G'day Robin,
out of curiosity, could you check your international settings and see just what your Windows hot keys are for changing 'round?

| Control Panel | Regional and Language Options | Languages tab | Details button | Settings tab | Key Settings Button |

'tis entirely possible your "Key sequence" is blank in which case we're barking up the wrong tree.  'tis also possible that you will be able to identify the culprit.

Reply #8
Lawrie,

In fact, left alt + shift, which is not the problem. However, ctrl+shift, which changes the language, does the same thing, as the other language changes the keyboard (as set up).

Robin

Reply #9
G'day Robin,
I dunno 'bout you, but I occasionally manage to hit both the <ctrl> and <shift> keys together, get <shift> and <caps lock> a lot too...  Perhaps a different key combo is in order, or if you can live without the hot-key, remove it altogether...

Haven't checked to see, but perhaps you could specify left <Ctrl> key and the right <shift> key.  I think that would be a more difficult combination to accidentally hit.  Or maybe both <ctrl> keys...