Skip to main content
Topic: Chord Names (Read 2547 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord Names

I'm hoping someone can help me. I would like to add chords as text in a song, but I am having trouble figuring out what their correct names are. The piece is in the key of F and I am attaching a portion that shows the chords in question. The first one is tied from the first measure to the second. The other one is in the third measure. I'm pretty sure about the second one, but it's probably best to check with someone who knows. Thanks - D.

Re: Chord Names

Reply #1
Your first chord of interest is F7 on Eb.  This could also be called an F "dominant" seventh (on Eb), or a third-inversion F chord.  It's tending towards a Bb chord next, but you've given in a nice twist with ...

In your last measure there are two distinct chords.  I would suggest that the first is a D7sus4.  This flows nicely to a D7 as the second chord in the measure.  But to help your performer, the Gb would be better written as an F#.

If you had a fourth measure, I bet the chord would be some sort of G minor.

Reply #2
So:

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Text|Text:"F7/Eb"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:9|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:8th,Accent|Pos:b-4^,-3^,-1^,1^|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

and

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Text|Text:"D7/C"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:9|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-6,-5,#-3,-1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #3
Thanks guys. I was wondering about that G flat. I was thinking that because there was a flat in the key signature that I should stick to flats, but looking at the piece, I didn't even follow my own incorect line of thinking. The F sharp definately makes it easier to see. And yes Ewan, there is a fourth measure and the next chord is a Gm7, and you are right again, there are two chords in the 3rd measure Dsus4 to D7. The song is already on the Scripto, so I probably won't make the minor change there. It's called O Sacred Head Now Wounded. Thanks again for the help.