Skip to main content
Topic: Please Help! (Read 2351 times) previous topic - next topic

Please Help!

Hello, I'm a new member of this website.
I've been downloading and redownloading the free Noteworthy Player for the last two days, and I can't get it to read the songs that my choral instructor sent all of us. The rest of the people in my chorus can read them just fine on their computers, but mine labels the files as "Unregistered"..?? Yet it doesn't show up that way on other peoples' computers, only mine. Any suggestions or people who had a similar problem?

Re: Please Help!

Reply #1
G'day xkittykatx,
it sounds as though you're having a Windows registry problem...

As a test, can you launch the player and try to open one of the song files from the |File|Open| dialogue?

Another thought...  Have you installed the "Player" or the "Viewer"?  'Tis much better to install the Viewer - it's a new version that also supports NWC2 file format.  Available from http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/viewer.htm

Try this:

• Uninstall the Viewer/Player you've installed and reboot.
  • A good virus and adware/spyware scan is a good idea
  • WARNING - if you have certain spyware/adware programs running this next step could break your computer - If you are unsure DON'T DO IT!
  • Now use Windows Explorer to find and *delete the contents of your "temp" folder.**  Make sure you don't delete the "temp" folder itself!
  • Then (re)install the Viewer.

* You will probably find some files you cannot delete - these will be ones that Windows has open.

** You may need to go looking for this, depends on your Windows version.  9x versions will normally have it under the "Windows" folder, Win2k and XP will have it under "Documents and Settings\your login name\Local Settings".  You will need to turn on |Tools|Folder Options|View (tab)|"Show hidden files and folders" and untick "Hide protected operating system files".  Remember to restore these settings when you're finished!

One more question, what version of Windows do you have?  If it's '95 or '98, or even ME (this one's harder) I have some fairly extensive instructions I can give you to perform a registry "clean up".  Fixes a lot of ills in 9x but is no good for the NT based versions (NT, 2k and XP).
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Please Help!

Reply #2
The free Viewer and Player will not open *.nwc files created with the evaluation version of NoteWorthy Composer. There is no way around this. You can use NoteWorthy Composer to work with these files. If you save them with the full version of NWC, then you can view them in our free programs.