Skip to main content
Topic: Really dumb question from non-music major (Read 3220 times) previous topic - next topic

Really dumb question from non-music major

Ok, I admit to NOT being a music major.  Everything I know about music is self taught so please bear with me.  I use NWC to transpose my choir music in order to learn my notes.  I have a very simple song that has 3 lyric lines. Each veerse of the song ends the same way, so there is no special ending.  I want Noteworthy to play the song 3 times so that when I'm singing, the proper words are highlighted.  I have seen some NWC files that do this correctly but I'm not sure what I need.  I have tried putting a master repeat open at the beginning and a master repeat close at the end, but this just makes the song repeat once.  Can someone please tell me what I need to do?  Thanks in advance

Re: Really dumb question from non-music major

Reply #1
Use the "local repeat" bars.  These are NOT standard musical notation, but they do have a "number of repeats" value (which you can set by selecting the bar -- sweep the cursor from one side to the other with the left key depressed -- and the right clicking and selecting "Properties" from the drop-down menu).

If you are not planning to let the score out where people (other than you) will see it, just use these.  Other wise you can play tricks with making some things non-visible. 

Reply #2
Thanks, I knew it had to be something simple I was missing. 

Reply #3
You can still use Master Repeats to achieve mutiple cycles. Just tick the appropriate boxes in the Special Endings properties.

Reply #4
Each verse of the song ends the same way, so there is no special ending.
But you could still
[move]||: have a bit of fun with visibility propreties, fake Master Repeat Bars, and so on. :||[/move]

Reply #5
That's why I've put the special ending at the very beginning in my example. This means that the Special Ending encompasses the whole passage. Alternatively I could have inserted the Special Ending immediately before the MR Close (with just 1 and 2) giving a completely empty Special Ending. It's not relevant that all these endings are the same, it's just a way of getting the repeat count right.

And notice that I've deliberately hidden the SE!