Skip to main content
Topic: Midi File Association (Read 2880 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi File Association

I have run into a problem that I do not know how to correct. I have checked previous forums on the subject, but they are so old that their solutions don't apply because they involve Windows 95 and 98.
When I go to midi files, somehow they have become associated with Real Player instead of NWC, which would not normally be a problem I guess except that my Yamaha keyboard does not recognize them so that if I write something on NWC and transfer to floppy disc, it won't play in the keyboard.
I have re-installed NWC to try and get the associations back but to no avail. I have also tried highlighting a file, right clicking, choosing "Open With" (Choose a program) - NWC, (Checking the "always open this type of file with" box), and still have had no luck. What happens is that the file then is transfered to the midi import wizard and opens that way, but the Real Player icon remains. Any Suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Re: Midi File Association

Reply #1
The "Real" series of programs are ******** at doing this. I keep a setup file on my machine, but only for when nothing else will do and I have to watch/listen etc. I then load it up - use it, then loose it - ie uninstall it.

What I suggest you do is to uninstall real player, real jukebox and real download - and any other "real"isms.

Having done that - check that your file association is correct for NoteWorthy. If not try the other options you mentioned to correct it.
When done, re-install Real Player if you really have to, but when re-installing, Uncheck simply everything that is presented to you. Be careful because some of the options are in boxes that have more unseen checked items if you arrow down. When done, if you caught everything during the install, you should still have your association to NoteWorthy. The native Real files will still work - but if you have got it right - nothing else will be bothered by this dreadful piece of software.

Rich.