Skip to main content
Topic: Moving an item up (Read 4407 times) previous topic - next topic

Moving an item up

To make a note higher/lower, we all know that one just needs to select it (Shift+right), use Ctrl+Shift+Up(or down), and it's done.
Badly this won't work with items such as text, comma or fermata, ...
but there is a solution --again with the macro recorder.
I now use Alt+Up to move an item one position higher.
If people are interested in, I'll put it on my mygale page.

Anyway here is the kbd sequence to use when recording the macro :
(format is : Key #comment (ignore this))
Shift-Right      #select the item to your right. So you must be B4 it.
Ctrl-E           #open the Item Editor
Alt-S            #jump to the Staff position value
Up               # or down for the other macro (Alt+Down in that latter case)
Enter            # to valid and close window
Shift-Left       # to go back to the place before and unselect the item.

If you use only Left on the last step, this only deselects the item, leaving you to the right of it.
I prefer to go back (pour une fois !), for I can repeatly use the macro for successive moves of the same item.

Hope this helps you for quicker writing. I hope though that Eric will allow items to be moved the same way than notes do!

A last thing : be sure that you choose "quick"(?) speed, not "recorded"(?), in the macro properties box. This goes much more quicker !!! (sorry for the (?), but my macro recorder is in French, not in english, and ain't sure of the exact translation µ$oft used).

P.S. Contest Proposal (nothing to win but others NWC users consideration) : Submit your best macros :-) Limitation : the macro recorder is not clever :-( so you can't do things such as a generic enharmonicist (replacing B# by Cnatural as well as the reverse)

Re: Moving an item up

Reply #1
Actually, I do have an enharmoniser or three... sort of.
One just turns a (f'rinstance) A# into a Bb by changing the # to a b and moving the (single or octave pair) note up one. Another does the opposite. A third I had did chord members, which I found VERY HANDY (once).
I created a ^7, ^8 and ^9 to naturalise, flatten and sharpen chord members. Very handy when transposing chords within a chord progression.
The transpose entity (as Marsu outlined above) was one of the very first things I ever put in my macros, and one I'd love Eric to make optional (I normally don't want to transpose text, decresc/cresc or some tempo and dynamic markings... but sometimes I do).

A

Reply #2
For those of us who have not yet graduated to macros, how do you invoke the macro recording facility when you are in NWC because I do not see a "REC" in any of the menus or toolbars.
Many thanks.

Reply #3
The macro utility being talked about is the windows 3.1 keyboard recorder system.
The executable is recorder.exe and you have to run this program to record key depresses or
mouse actions. You can then play the sequence back at a much greater speed simply by pressing some pre defined keys.

Unfortunately, Microsoft have not release this product with windows 95 or NT but you can use the 3.1 version on these platforms.

Find a 3.1 system and copy the recorder.exe file.

Richard

Reply #4
Thanks Richard this puts me out of my misery.