Skip to main content
Topic: Importing scanned scores (Read 7815 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing scanned scores

How do one import a score scanned with PhotoScore into NWC.

Re: Importing scanned scores

Reply #1
NWC1 can import standard MIDI files using File, Open. This is the only practical way to import music from other sources into NWC1.

Reply #2
A few of us have been using a combination of Sharpeye and a program developed by Nicolas Hatier called  XML2NWC.

Sharpeye can recognise scanned scores and save them to Nif, Midi and Music XML formats.
XML2NWC can then take this XML output and enter it directly into NWC2.

I have been very impressed with the results and they have proved to be far far better than a midi export/import.  This method also passes note attributes, articulations, triplets (which midi certainly can't handle), slurs ties staccato etc

If photoscore can export music XML then there is no reason why this method shouldn't work for you.
Rich.

Reply #3
Does Sharpeye do any good with manuscripts?

If it got even 50% right, it would save me that much input. I have rather neatly hand-written manuscripts to copy into NWC2 and I can probably manipulate them as image files before sending to Sharpeye, but they're nothing like printed scores.

What file formats does Sharpeye accept from the scanner?

Thanks,

Frank

Reply #4
Can't tell you about manuscripts - haven't tried. But you get 30 days free trial so you could have a go and see.
You would need sharpeye version 2.

You never know - it might work. Depends I guess on how neat your manuscript work is.

Sharpeye accepts eith tif or bmp which can either be scanned in, or existing ones opened.

It prefers the resolution to be in the range 300 - 400 dpi.
Rich.

Reply #5
A few of us have been using a combination of Sharpeye and a program developed by Nicolas Hatier called  XML2NWC.

Where can I get this?

Robin

Reply #7
Rich,

Just how good is Sharpeye, and how good is it when using XML2NWC? Have downloaded XML2NWC and it seems to work.

Reply #8
I tried it years ago and abandoned it because it took to much to correct. Having retried it ecause of XML2NWC I was really impressed with the accuracy. I bought it !

There are some slight problems with how it deals with the Grand Staff, but with a tweak, these are fixed ok.
(This is only a problem when using XML2NWC to interpret what Shapreye has done).

All of the note attributes and so on are recognised, as are dynamic markings (if you have the right text options selected).
Lyrics are also recognised (which Nicolas' program converts to a lyric line)

All in all, I have been impressed with the comination of the two.

As long as NoteWorthy supports the music feature, then Nicolas' prog converts it. It ignores features it doesn't understand.

The only real problem I've seen is where there is a non lyric instruction that does not translate to a dynamic. This gets translated into NWC as a form of text that can't be found using the search facility (even though you can see it).

The only way of getting rid of it appears to be a cop of the whole staff and then a paste. Since, whatever it is, is not recognised when pasting, it is dropped.

Rich
Rich.

Reply #9
Perhaps I should make a few other comments.

If you have a good original copy of the music and a good scanner, then Sharpeye is extremely accurate.

The accuracy decreases according to the quality of materials you are using. Occasionally, an accidental is misplaced or ignored or entered when some other marking is on the sheet music.
Occasionally, a note tail is misread causing the music not to balance according to the (already) recognised time sig. However, where the measures do not measure up [;-)] Sharpeye indicates a problem and you can fix it manually before exporting to MXML.

In addition, Sharpeye has a triplet recognition mechanism which means that it recognises these even when they are not marked by a 3.  Where other n-tuplets have been recognised, you will need to make adjustments, either at the Sharpeye stage or in NoteWorthy later on.

I did try to use one of Frank's hand crafted musical manuscripts and although Sharpeye did make a valiant attempt, the work needed to correct everything did not warrant its use under these conditions.
Rich.

Reply #10
The only real problem I've seen is where there is a non lyric instruction that does not translate to a dynamic. This gets translated into NWC as a form of text that can't be found using the search facility (even though you can see it).

It is put into the Lyric Editor. Open that and delete everything.

Reply #11
Thanks Tina,

Didn't think of looking there since it wasn't a lyric !
Rich.

Reply #12
Rich and Tina,

So kind of you to take the time.  Most helpful.... Thanks.

Now, if the two of you (and anyone else) can come here and get the two-plus feet of snow off the ground so I can start gardening....

Seriously, thanks again.

Robin