Skip to main content
Topic: Last Rests not played... (Read 6371 times) previous topic - next topic

Last Rests not played...

Hello.  I've just registered for 1.75b & NWC2 beta.

It's also seen on NWC1.75 and NWC player, Last rests are not played nor
convered to MID file.  In other words, they're ignored, which is not for playing
music.

Here's an example,  shown as "o" = Note, "z" = Rest (such as Quarter)

Score    =   |  o o o o  | o o o o | O z z z ||(Fine)
Playing  =   |  o o o o  | o o o o | O||(Fine)

At the last bar, after playing the last "O", then suddenly stopped.  That means,
if the time of rest "z z z" cut, the sound will cut very unconsiously.  So, is it
possible to play until encountering Closing Bar.

Re: Last Rests not played...

Reply #1
I usually place a hidden tempo mark (doesn't matter what the number is) after the last rest.

HTH

Reply #2
The problem with solutions like putting a tempo mark after the last rest is:

What happens when Noteworthy gets better and better about "optimizing" away all the non-functioning parts of a score?  It already appears to be doing it wrt the final rests, resulting in the abrupt end on the MIDI which I've also noticed and been unhappy with.  If Noteworthy figures out that a final tempo mark has no effect (as long as there is no preceding ritard or accelerando, that is), it could easily determine that it can be dispensed with, leaving the final rests as, once again, final and dispensable-withable.

I would rather see Noteworthy correct the behavior, and users not depend on tricks which the software may eventually be too clever to be fooled by.

- seb

Reply #3
Thanks a lot.  It does work.

As this may not be a musical manner, I would like it to be fixed.

Hiroki

Reply #4
The problem with rests are that they do not provide anything to the play engine to actually perform. In NWC, you can minimize this issue by how you set your play back port usage.

We'll look at ways of improving this in NWC2.

Reply #5
The next release of NWC2 will actually perform rests at the end of a work.

Reply #7
You can hit the stop button if you want it to stop before the end of the piece.

Reply #9
A better way to look at it than "hitting the stop button before the end of the piece" would be:

If you want to save/export as MIDI without the final rests:  do one last save if you need to, then delete the final rests manually, save/export as MIDI, and quit Noteworthy without saving the final-rest-deletion.  It's not that hard, and it gives you more of a feeling of direct control over the content of the MIDI.

- seb

Reply #10
Please make it possible to disable. I would not always want that.

I think the last rests wouldn't need when you're editing score, maybe as you say.
However, it does need for exporting MIDI and MP3, etc.  Try some MIDI files
such like that playing on Windows Media Player or other player.  Without last rests,
sounds continue weired as it's not on musical manner.