Skip to main content
Topic: Need a good sound card (Read 2766 times) previous topic - next topic

Need a good sound card

I'm looking for a good sound card for my PC I'm running a gaming CPU.

This is what I am running:
AMD,Sempron  3000+ 1.8GHZ
Seagate 80G HDD
512MB DDR RAM
ATI Raedon 9800 pro 256MB 128 bit graphic card
On board sound,using Klipsch 2.1 pro media speakers.

on board sound card sounds ok but I can do better.
the Klipsch 2.1 pro media speakers has the THX registered logo as well as the LucasFlims registered logo,
good pounding bass and clarity
 can some one point me in the right direction on what kind of sound card would be best suited for under $100 if possible

Re: Need a good sound card

Reply #1
G'day J.P.

I'm looking for a good sound card for my PC I'm running a gaming CPU.

This is what I am running:
AMD,Sempron  3000+ 1.8GHZ
Seagate 80G HDD
512MB DDR RAM
ATI Raedon 9800 pro 256MB 128 bit graphic card
On board sound,using Klipsch 2.1 pro media speakers.

on board sound card sounds ok but I can do better.
the Klipsch 2.1 pro media speakers has the THX registered logo as well as the LucasFlims registered logo,
good pounding bass and clarity
 can some one point me in the right direction on what kind of sound card would be best suited for under $100 if possible

you may not need a new sound card.

While I don't know what US prices are like (assuming you are in the US) the Creative Live 5! and Audigy range are reasonably good, you just need to make sure you're using the very latest drivers and then find a soundfont(s) you like!

If you are primarily concerned with the MIDI synth then a softsynth of some variety will probably solve your problem

Do a search for softsynths and/or sound fonts on the forum.  Lotsa discussion and links.

If you can locate a copy of the now discontinued Yamaha syxg50 softsynth you won't be disappointed.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Hey, Lawrie, that's a [glow=green,2,300]cool[/glow] pic.  Where'd you find that?
Are there other instruments as well?

Reply #3
G'day K.A.T,

Hey, Lawrie, that's a [glow=green,2,300]cool[/glow] pic.  Where'd you find that?
Are there other instruments as well?

Glad you like it :)  "Google is my friend" <Image Link> and yes, there are other instruments...  ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.