Skip to main content
Topic: moving alto clef (Read 2923 times) previous topic - next topic

moving alto clef

I've been trying and trying, but I can't find a way to move the alto clef.  Is there one?  I need to move it to make the second line middle C.  I need to do it this way because it's for an assignment, I can change the way it's written.  Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Re: moving alto clef

Reply #1
The alto clef cannot be moved up or down in NWC. You can, however, transpose as needed from staff properties to get the desired play back.

Reply #2
G'day Miranda,

I've been trying and trying, but I can't find a way to move the alto clef.  Is there one?  I need to move it to make the second line middle C.  I need to do it this way because it's for an assignment, I can change the way it's written.  Thanks to anyone who can help me.

If you use Erics' reply RE transposing the MIDI part, you can also display a "C" clef (an Alto clef is a "C" clef on the middle line) by setting the NWC font (NWCV15.TTF) as a user font and selecting the correct character, a "c" (lower case c) as text.

Step wise you need to:
  • Hide your Alto clef - highlight the clef, press <Alt-Enter>, click the Visibility tab, and select Never from the "Show on printed page" list
  • Open Page Setup (|File|Page Setup|), Select the Fonts tab and make a user font equal to NWCV15, set the size to be about 5/4's the staff size in the Options tab also in page setup
  • Wherever you want a "C" clef on the 2nd line to appear place a text entry <x>, <c>, select the correct user font, <Enter> (make sure "Preserve Width is selected)
  • You will also need to place text entries for your key signatures <x>, <d> for sharps or <f> for flats, select the correct user font, <Enter> (make sure "Preserve Width is selected)
  • In both cases, highlight each entry and move vertically as required
  • You may need to play with combinations of staff size and font size to get the best placement.

The down side?  As these clefs and key signatures are text entries, they will not automatically appear at the start of each staff.

Another problem, the text key signatures will be for display purposes ONLY, your best bet is to create a hidden, sounding staff using a normal Alto clef etc. and mute the visible staff.

Hopefully this will suffice...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
As Lawrie said, but for accidentals you may be able to use a "User defined" key signature.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
G'day again Miranda,
it just occurred to me, which way are you counting?

If you're counting up from the bottom of the staff, then the explanation above is your best bet [until someone thinks of a better way :)  ]

However, if you're counting DOWN from the top thus making the second line from the TOP middle C then this is what a Tenor clef does, and you have access to one of them!  The symbol is the same as an Alto clef, just spaced up one line, as they are both "C" clefs.

Hope this is a better solution for you!

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.