Skip to main content
Topic: NWC vrs Midi (Read 3889 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC vrs Midi

Hi,

I'm a newbi to nwc.  I really like the program so far.  I was wondering if somebody could explain
a bit about a couple of things. 

Why are the midi files so much larger than the nwc file for the same piece of music?

The default sound on my computer isn't all that great, so I've been using Synthfont, and various
soundfonts, to listen to the scores I've been writing.  It would be great if I could hear in Noteworthy,
the same sounds that I hear with Synthfont.  Is this somehow possible?

Thanks,
Dennis

Re: NWC vrs Midi

Reply #1
Hi, Dennis, and welcome aboard.

The reason for the file size difference is that NWC uses an internal compression algorithm to create the smaller files.  Years ago, the NWC files used to be much bigger (and in fact, if you check out the scriptorium for some of the older files, you will find that to be the case).  NWC then introduced the feature to compress the files as an option, then later as the default behavior.  Since MIDI files have to conform to the MIDI standard for all MIDI players/sequencers/etc, they are much larger.

Hope this helps.
John

Reply #2
About file sizes, I'd just like to add that MIDI files are also larger because of repeats.  In the NWC file, a repeat sign adds very little to the file size, but in MIDI, there is no "repeat" command, so the file doubles is size (assuming the repeat covers the whole song).

As far as using the sounds from Synthfont in NWC, you can do this with the help of free software called MIDI Yoke http://www.midiox.com/.  Essentially, after you install the software, you'll get eight or so virtual MIDI input/output devices.  Send the output of NWC to MIDI Yoke NT:  1 (Tools|Options|Midi|Devices used in playback).  Then set the input in Synthfont to MIDI Yoke NT:  1.  Finally, click the Input button on the toolbar of Synthfont.  And presto!  Beautiful music.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #3
Thank you so much!!!

Ahhhhhhh.... my cello track now sounds like a cello, and not a mutant organ/clarinet hybred with a sore throat.

This is so GREAT!!

THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU!!!