Skip to main content
Topic: I want just the music no voices (Read 5401 times) previous topic - next topic

I want just the music no voices

I uploaded a cd onto my computer with realplayer and I want to get the music without the words is there anything I have to download to do so?

Re: I want just the music no voices

Reply #1
It sounds like you want to digitally filter an audio CD in order to convert it into a karaoke style disk. There are software makers that claim support for this type of audio filtering, but you will not find this kind of software here.

Perhaps others will have a suggestion or tip to share with you.

Reply #2
I confess from the start that this reply is more anecdotal than useful. But on the other hand, as suggested by the previous reply, what you are asking for is, pretty much, the original karaoke machine. These days, what people think of as karaoke is something with a specially recorded backing track, and a screen that gives you the lyric guided by a helpful bouncy ball. As fellow Brit contributors to this forum will know, for many years in the UK, the most popular television magazine programme about technology was a program called 'Tomorrow's World'. I well remember when they first demonstrated the Karaoke machine, when it was cutting edge technology. And the original Karaoke machine did exactly what you are asking for. You could put any commercial recording you happened to have into the machine, and it was clever enough to analyse the recording, take out the top line, and leave you with the backing. And in the demonstration on the television program they used, yes you guessed it, ol' blue eyes, singing, yes you guessed it, that song. The program finished with the presenter belting out with real gusto that immortal line that perhaps is the definitive statement of what the Karaoke machine is all about, and is why the Japanese man who invented it must never, ever be forgiven:

"And I did it.......    my......    way......!"

Reply #3
My Karaoke Moment of Glory was when I did a 'Henk Elsink' song, called Johanna. A song where everything goes wrong (but according to plan). Those who did not know the original song really thought everything gang agley (*) , but after a while, they caught up. Timing is of the essence, here.
I have never sung Sinatra, karaoke-wise. But will when requested. ;-)
cheers,
Rob.
(*) Thank you, Burns.

Reply #4
Software exists to do what you want, but it doesn't work too well.  The audio software that comes with Nero http://nero.com attempts to do this.  The free Audacity http://audacity.sf.net has directions on the web site to attempt such a thing.  In short, however, you will never really get the vocals out and if you get close, you'll distort the background stuff so bad, it will hardly be worth it.

Sorry.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #5
My understanding is for this to work, the vocal line needs to be recorded as a mono input right down the center of the stereo track.  Many songs are done this way and the software works fairly decently, but will always leave some artifacts and probably a hint of the vocal line remaining.  It works by looking at the left and right tracks separately, then removing what's the same in both.  Assuming the rest of the instruments are panned left and right, it will get the vocal line.  Unfortunately, a lot of times the bass line is also in the middle, so you will usually a lot of your bass response.  If the vocal line is not down the middle, however, it's not going to work.   There will always be some reduction in sound quality.

Unfortunately, no software can "hey just take out the vocal parts, but leave everything else".  As folks have said before, it's like asking someone to just remove the sugar from the cake they just baked.  If you can do it at all, I suspect the rest of the cake is going to look a mess after you're done. 

John
John