Skip to main content
Topic: Text buglet in Rev 1y (Read 7746 times) previous topic - next topic

Text buglet in Rev 1y

If you enter some text, select its Properties and delete everything in the &Expression box,
you get some thing like this:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Text|Text:""|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:7|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
If you copy and paste it, you get this:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Text|Text:"<Text Expression>"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:8|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote|Visibility:Never
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Curiously, the position changes and the font gets zapped.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Text buglet in Rev 1y

Reply #1
G'day Rick,
I've copied and pasted your examples so I know what you're reporting.  Actually, I've seen something similar at different times, usually when using a user tool that hasn't behaved "quite right".

I think I saw it most when Andrew was working on "scratch".

Unfortunately I've been unable to duplicate what you're reporting.

I entered text, edited the properties and deleted the contents of the Expression box, and got a blank text expression.

I then went, one by one, through the other parameters till everything matched what appears in the first example. I.E. I set the font to page small text, pos to 7, preserve width etc..

Each time I deleted the Expression box contents and only got a blank text expression.

Could you post your original text expression and I could try that? In case there's something peculiar about the expression itself, perhaps its length or something...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
original text was something like this:
|Text|Text:" "|Font:PageText|Pos:6|Wide:N|Justify:Left|Placement:BestFit|Color:0|Visibility:Default

Then I essentially made the text "" by editing the &Expression

Reply #3
G'day Rick,
hmm, still can't replicate it :(

Is it repeatable on your system?  I.E. can you start a new song and make it play up?

Is anyone else having a look??

Lawrie

Reply #4
It's the empty string that's the trouble. NWC doesn't seem able to interpret it as a NoteWorthy clip so just pastes the whole thing as a piece of text positioned at the insertion point, and in the default font.

Reply #5
Instead of " ", use alt + 0160 using the numeric keypad.

Reply #6
Peter, I think your analysis is correct.

Robin, alt + 160 is great when NWC2 decides to trim strings and you don't want it to, but it adds nothing here.

Lawrie: If you save the file, it loads back as <Text Expression>, yet another bug.

I'm just reporting a bug, not looking for a workaround.
A small one, but NWC2 shouldn't allow you to create something that can't be copied or saved.

How or if NoteWorthy decides to fix this is their concern.
One fix would be to have the OK button disabled until the expression is valid.

Reply #7
G'day Rick,
I was missing a step.  I wasn't copying and pasting the edited text entry...

I see the problem now and can reproduce it.

Sorry for being a bit dense  :)

Lawrie

Reply #8
Back when Text Expressions were first introduced, the user interface neglected to prevent empty expressions from being created. Thus, there are files out there that already have empty text expressions. Changed were added (the ones being discussed here) in NWC2 that convert these empty expressions to default text (that doesn't print) when opening the file, or copying as clip text. This was done to make it possible to see and fix these empty text expressions.

Upon further review, there might be a better way to handle this issue with regard to new expressions, and we will look into it for the next update.