Skip to main content
Topic: Guitar Chords (Read 10986 times) previous topic - next topic

Guitar Chords

I have some guitar chords on some scores, e.g. G, D/C, G/B etc.. how do I enter these chords into NWC??

Re: Guitar Chords

Reply #1
You can enter them individually as text (use X) or you can enter them using the lyric editor, which is a little trickier but more efficient.  Search the forum for details, it's been discussed and explained many times.

Reply #2
Sorry, but how do i make the guitar chords sound out, not juz appear as text..

Reply #3
The only way you are going to make them sound out is to create a staff for the guitar, set the instrument for that staff (MIDI channel) to guitar, then enter the notes you want to use for the chord.  Noteworthy Composer is a notation program, not a guitar chord sequencer.  Chord designations are only supported as text; NWC doesn't read them as chords, just a text element.  Besides, what would it play anyway?  A single strum at each chord change; quarter note strums; ching ching-a ching ching-a...; finger picking; barre chord or open; etc.?

You can fairly well simulate a guitar using Noteworthy, but you have to tell it what to do and which notes to use.

- John

Reply #4
hmm.. making guitar chords sound out in NWC doesnt seem that easy at all.. anyway, thanks for the advice.

Reply #5
well, guitar chords are just like pianoa chords: when there is Dm written, you have to enter the notes that compose it (the one intended by the author. on a guitar it depends where you play it, fret 2 or higher, for example).

To have them strum at play time, there is a user tool that does that perfectly, and which is made by the author.

P.S. If for you Am (for instance) is just a finger position, go one step ahead and know which notes it is. It'll help you alot, and furthermore you'll find NWC (and music) is much more easy ;)

HTH,
M.

Reply #6
edit: the user tool is only available on nwc2 version.
But anyway it's not so hard to do it by hand.
There is already some templates (understand: an NWC file already made) with all the chords on the Helpful files section of the Scriptorium, too.
Thanks to nice users.

HTH!