Skip to main content
Topic: Slur Direction (Read 7835 times) previous topic - next topic

Slur Direction

I write 4 part music and always want the Soprano, & Tenor slurs and ties to go upward and the Alto & bass ties to go downward. Anyway to fix this so I don't have to select these settings all the time?

Re: Slur Direction

Reply #1
Select all the notes in the staff and set slur direction Upwards or Downwards
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
The trick is: you simply do it afterwards, after every note has been  entered. Select the whole staff, press Shift-Up (or Shift-Down for alto and bass), and while you have things highlighted already, press Alt-Enter, go to the Notes tab, and set Slur direction and Tie directions to Upwards. Alto and bass Downwards, of course.
I used to do it the hard and tedious way, until the Forum taught me differently.

Reply #3
Still, one would probably be happier if it was easier to change the direction say, with a keyboard shortcut, like Ctrl-Shift-U and Ctrl-Shift-D for slurs, Alt-Shift-U and Alt-Shift-D for ties (or vice versa). At least I would. :-)

Sometimes you need to change just some of the notes and the slur's/tie's up/down direction. And whatever method is used now, it's still a pain in the you-know-what...AFAICT...unless there are some other ideas.

Reply #4
I was hoping for a keyboard shortcut maybe. I do highlight all the staff and go to Notes and change slur direction. I was hoping for an easier way, like a different default, or something.

Reply #5
Would also be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to make things invisible or visible...