Skip to main content
Topic: Timpani as Strings? (Read 6712 times) previous topic - next topic

Timpani as Strings?

Why on earth is the Timpani (a.k.a. Kettle Drum) listed in the String group in the default instrument set?

Re: Timpani as Strings?

Reply #1
Because the Noteworthy people were eating stringy chicken when they categorised it?

Reply #2
It's probably because instruments are defined in the MIDI configuration, and that the instruments come in sequential order according to its predefined number (from 0 to 127 [2^7=128]), and that that you're probably using the Default setting in NWC. You can, however, edit how you want your instruments presented to you.

There is a button (Change List...) at the bottom of the "Instrument Tree" dialog box, accessed via the F2 key->Instrument Tab->"Predefined instruments". See also the \itrees folder in the NWC home folder. The files in this folder are plain text files which can be edited using something similar to Notepad. Move lines around and save an iTree file to get a new order.

Unless you're used to editing such iTree files, I suggest you make copies of them before you start editing.

On a more personal note though, I wouldn't use Notepad for editing, since the files aren't exactly standard textfiles per se, and Notepad gets confused (at least on my system). You'll need an editor that can handle tricky line endings, or you need to know how to convert them manually. I'd suggest PSPad for editing: http://www.pspad.com/

I also think this feature should come with an editor built into the dialog box, so you could drag lines around, edit names, and save under a new name, and so on. But that's just me...

Reply #3
Even if it is correctable, though, it's still just wrong.

Reply #4
[Adam Cuerden]
> Even if it is correctable, though, it's still just wrong.

Yes, you're right. But I don't think you can blame NWC for this error, the program is probably just showing you what is already there. It's up to you to change it if you don't like it, or ask that the error be rectified with updated iTree files in some later update, although, I wouldn't hold my breath...

I guess the MIDI instruments were numbered this way in the early beginning, so you can probably blame the same guy who said it would be enough with 640 k RAM. ;-)