Skip to main content
Topic: Measures (Read 4789 times) previous topic - next topic

Measures

Is their a way to stop noteworthy from only ending a line with a complete measure?

Re: Measures

Reply #1
I do not believe so.

I remember singing from some music recently (a copy of Mozart's requiem -Barenriter version)
where the publisher decided that in order to save space, they would end a line of music mid way through a bar.

This was very uncomfortable to sing from and I would not recommend or wish Noteworthy to act in this way .
It did force you count all the way through but you tend to expect the beginning of a line of music to be the first beat, not the third or fourth.

Richard

Re: Measures

Reply #2
Starting and ending pieces (and sections of pieces) with parts of bars is very common. I might even guess that it is more common than starting and ending with whole bars. However, individual lines other than the first and last lines of sections are generally complete bars.

The convention is that if, for example, the piece is in 3/4 and starts halfway through beat 2 (i.e. 3 quavers up-beat) it ends in the same place. (i.e. the final bar will have 1 and 1/2 beats in it)

NWC can handle this as you are free to put bar lines wherever you like. However, if you use "Audit Bar Lines"
NWC assumes that the first bar starts on beat one and moves the bar lines accordingly. To get round this, add sufficient rests to make bar one start on beat one before doing an Audit Bar Lines. Then delete the superfluous rests at the start and make sure the last bar is the right length.

Stephen