Skip to main content
Topic: Very strange playback problem (unlike rest) (Read 6845 times) previous topic - next topic

Very strange playback problem (unlike rest)

I've been running NWC for years without trouble.  I have version 1.75 and I can't upgrade at the moment.  I recently reformatted my computer and NWC worked for the first few days.  Then, all of a sudden, I got no playback.  All of a sudden, my MIDI devices disappeared (which was a Wavetable Synth and MIDI Mapper) and I can't find anything.

I tried going into the control panel to change the settings, but I can't even access the MIDI devices because the section is grayed out.

Any help?

Re: Very strange playback problem (unlike rest)

Reply #1
G'day Mike,
this suggest that Windows doesn't think there is any MIDI hardware installed or has failed to initialise it correctly.

Is normal sound working, perhaps your sound card has worked its way out of the slot?

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Also look for the little speaker icon in the System Tray if you're in Windows. Double clicking it allows you to turn various sound features on or off.  It may be you've disabled midi.

Reply #3
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help.  My soundcard appears to be in the slot perfectly, and restoring my computer temporarily solved the problem.  It still persists, though, and I made sure that I have MIDI enabled.

It turns out the MIDI Mapper is the one giving me the trouble.  For some reason it just decides to die.  But when I restore my computer, it works for a few more days.  Isn't that weird?

Reply #4
G'day Mike,
you might try not using the MIDI mapper...  NWC will quite happily address your MIDI synth directly without using the MIDI mapper.

This is, of course, a work around for your underlying problem, but on the other hand, I never use the mapper anyhow.  As for the "disappearing MIDI", are you installing or using any software that may try to override the MIDI configuration?

Can you repair it from control panel without a (I assume) system restore?

Have you checked for spyware and other exploits?

I highly recommend you check the M$ support site http://support.microsoft.com and search the knowledgebase for similar problems.

...That's probably enough for now  :)

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.