Skip to main content
Topic: Instrument patches (Read 2992 times) previous topic - next topic

Instrument patches

Is there a better way - or maybe just an optimization:
In the midst of a score it is necessary to change from bowed instruments (violin, viola, cello, etc.) to pizzicatto strings for a few measures, and then back. I used the Insert>Instrument Patch option, which was great, until I tried to revert to the original instrument through use of another instrument patch. The resulting instruments sound dull and "cloudy." This is not the desired effect - I need them to be bright and clear.
Technical specs - I'm using v1.51a (licensed). My score contains 22 instruments, and at at least one point, they all play simultaneously. I have all the strings (5 staves) playing back on channel 16, which seems the appropriate channel for my AWE64 Gold. Nothing else is on that channel.
Thanks in advance!

<:) Lyndon

Re: Instrument patches

Reply #1
It does not matter how you assign your instrument patch. If you set it in the Staff Properties (F2), and change it with Insert Instrument Patch, and then change it back to the original set in Staff Properties, it should now sound exactly as it did the first time (the MIDI messages sent to your sound card are the same no matter which way you do it).

It is possible to have differing results on different MIDI channels if you are using the MIDI Mapper. In some system configurations, the MIDI Mapper will assign different device drivers to different channels (for example, channels 1 through 10 to the WaveTable device, and 11 through 16 to the FM Synthesizer). In this case, you have two options:

1) Change your play back device to directly use the synth that you want to use for play back

2) change your MIDI mapper configuration